What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock up while the getting is good! I usually replenish the supply w/ the Memorial Day sales, then top up around 7/4.
It's on the list. Lowe's about 5 miles from work, just hope it doesn't start burning on its own in the hot car trunk. This heat and humidity thing is starting to get old. It's almost like it's summer or something.

Edit: Got a double bag of Kingsford "standard" grade, one bag of Kingsford with cherry wood with the money I saved. So 18.6 lbs x 2 + 14.6 lbs x 1 or 51.8 lbs of charcoal for $20. I should be good for a couple of weeks (still have a full 18.6 lb bag of standard and 1/2 bag of professional).

Last edited:
Happy 4th of July! Thanks to all of those who are committed to preserving our freedom, which we sometimes take for granted. And with this freedom I decided to get up early and put a brisket flat on my 18" Weber bullet smoker. Using the Minion method with some Cherry wood enhanced charcoal mixed in. Got a few too many coals going in the beginning (stabilized around 300*F), so had the bottom vents closed down (always leave the top 100% open) trying to get it to drop below 250*F (@ 265*F right now). Nice to know if this gets done a bit too quickly I can rest it wrapped in a cooler for a few hours until our guests arrive. Only my second brisket attempt so I have a boneless turkey breast standing by in the fridge which can be cooked up in less than three hours. Lightly seasoned the flat with a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and thickly ground pepper, placed in the smoker fat side down. Filled the water pan with cold water (didn't buffer the temperature much).

Now to see if I can stay out of the beer until Noon...

7-4-18_brisket-1.jpg

Looking good Craig. Don't forget to spritz it with apple juice or similar to keep it moist on top every hour or so. Probe it! Don't go just by temp. I just threw on a 6.5lb Pork Butt and will toss on a few racks of BB's later in the day. Pics coming in a bit.

Looking good Craig. Don't forget to spritz it with apple juice or similar to keep it moist on top every hour or so. Probe it! Don't go just by temp. I just threw on a 6.5lb Pork Butt and will toss on a few racks of BB's later in the day. Pics coming in a bit.
Four probes this cook, two for cooker temperature (one on each side) two for the brisket, one in the thickest portion, other in the thinnest. Been holding between 235-245*F for a couple of hours in the cooker (ie. I got it under control finally). Thickest portion of the flat measuring 158*, thinnest 163*. The thin portion was approaching 170, the thick was 165, so I think I'm into my stall (which is fine, time on my side, many hours until dinner). I'm happy since I just went to get ice for the coolers and opened my first beer (didn't make it to Noon, gosh darned). Seems that it is a little nicer outside since I did that (actually, not!, feels like someone turned the oven up).

7-4-18_brisket-2.jpg

So far no need to spritz, trying to improve on the bark before I get 'er wet. Plus with this humidity (dewpoint just hit 79*F, that's approaching @Johnd type humidity), it's staying nice and moist up top (even pooling a bit). Looks like it's contracting a too, which makes sense with the temperature drop I saw the last 45 minutes.

Edit: note to self - take the dog gone camera outside well before attempting a picture. Lens keeps fogging up since it's cool and the air outside is moist.

Last edited:
You may not see much if any stall on a flat as there is almost no fat to render which is what causes the stall.

Four probes this cook, two for cooker temperature (one on each side) two for the brisket, one in the thickest portion, other in the thinnest. Been holding between 235-245*F for a couple of hours in the cooker (ie. I got it under control finally). Thickest portion of the flat measuring 158*, thinnest 163*. The thin portion was approaching 170, the thick was 165, so I think I'm into my stall (which is fine, time on my side, many hours until dinner). I'm happy since I just went to get ice for the coolers and opened my first beer (didn't make it to Noon, gosh darned). Seems that it is a little nicer outside since I did that (actually, not!, feels like someone turned the oven up).

View attachment 49631

So far no need to spritz, trying to improve on the bark before I get 'er wet. Plus with this humidity (dewpoint just hit 79*F, that's approaching @Johnd type humidity), it's staying nice and moist up top (even pooling a bit). Looks like it's contracting a too, which makes sense with the temperature drop I saw the last 45 minutes.

Edit: note to self - take the dog gone camera outside well before attempting a picture. Lens keeps fogging up since it's cool and the air outside is moist.

As a different experiment on one of your brisket cooks, when you get to 140 F or so, put your chunk on meat into a foil pan, covered tightly with alum. foil until you hit your final temp (I like 195). When you pull it off and wrap it to rest, take the juice that’s left behind, put it in a clear glass vessel and remove the liquid fat from the top. Strain the remainder through cheesecloth and you’ll have some first class au jus to serve it with. I slather my briskets with beef “Better Than Bouillon”, then season it, which makes the juice even better.

Just for the record it’s 92F and 89% RH, feels like a sauna, bout to go hang out by the pool with the fam. Pushed the easy button today, hot dogs for lunch, burgers for dinner.

You may not see much if any stall on a flat as there is almost no fat to render which is what causes the stall.
According to my inkbird graph, it's been around 160 since 9:30 this morning, so a little over three hours. I thought the fat rendered starting at 155*F through 190*F, the stall was caused by the proteins contracting in the meat, forcing out any rendered fat and water at that point? Just rewatched the Franklin video and he doesn't mention the reason for it, just that it does it and expect it, if you don't want it cook at a higher temperature.

Found this, very interesting: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html

I don't care why it does it, it does it and that worked to my advantage this time. Luckily I slowed down the cook enough that it didn't shoot through the stall as I don't want to serve this for another 4-5 hours. Next cook will hopefully be the whole brisket. I just need a reason for a big party as that's way too much meat for the 5 of us.

Edit: Now about to hit 5 hours on the stall, though the thick portion just ticked up a degree (163), thin portion is definitely on the move (176). Now to get it all done and edible. Time to spray some trusty apple cider vinegar/water.

Edit 2: 3 pm - 174*F and movin' up on the thick part. Dinner, here we come. Had to move it to the covered front porch, storms building to the West of us.

Last edited:
As a different experiment on one of your brisket cooks, when you get to 140 F or so, put your chunk on meat into a foil pan, covered tightly with alum. foil until you hit your final temp (I like 195). When you pull it off and wrap it to rest, take the juice that’s left behind, put it in a clear glass vessel and remove the liquid fat from the top. Strain the remainder through cheesecloth and you’ll have some first class au jus to serve it with. I slather my briskets with beef “Better Than Bouillon”, then season it, which makes the juice even better.

Just for the record it’s 92F and 89% RH, feels like a sauna, bout to go hang out by the pool with the fam. Pushed the easy button today, hot dogs for lunch, burgers for dinner.
John, I do that for an eye round roast, but keep it in the pan from the get go (no foil covering). I try and keep below 120*F as long as I can, then pull it around 130-135*F, let it rest for 30 minutes and carve. Always a favorite with the kids.

We've got 91*F in York PA, 80*F dewpoint for a 69% RH. I'd hate to know what your dewpoint is with a 89% RH, nasty. Enjoy a cold one for me!

Finishing up. 4:20 pm and 189*F for the thick part, 203*F for the thin part. I just shielded the thin part with a bit of foil on the bottom and side, it had less fat to protect the underside. If it gets nasty I'll just chop it for a sandwich for tomorrows lunch, if it's chop-able. Good thing I moved the grill to the porch, just had an extended 20 minute downpour with lot's o' lightning in the area (internet keeps dropping). Easier to move when it's dry verses when it's pouring. Nice crust starting to form, but still really moist on the outside. Could get to like this high humidity thing on outdoor cooking days.

Just noticed one of the probes dropped about 20 degrees in the smoker. Wifey within a minute or so said, "rain is coming in on the porch, smoker is getting soaked". Luckily I just hit 190*F on the thick part, almost done.

7-4-18_brisket-3.jpg

7-4-18_brisket-4.jpg

End result was definitely a worthy effort. Ribs were perfect, just a little bit of pull to slide off the bone but I was able to get the entire slab off the pit without it falling apart (too done). I think the Puled Pork was the star of the show, it hit 195F right about 5:30PM and pulled it off and tore it up with my "bear claws". There was about a cup of au jus in the foil and I saved that and poured back into the pulled pork. OMG it was like melted butter in your mouth. It needed no sauce but of course you had to have it with some. Anyways served it with potato salad, corn on the cob and watermelon. Washed it down with a nice ice cold Rose'.

Desert was a pineapple upside down cake that was cooked in our CIP. No fireworks show this year due to fire restrictions (we are Stage III) due to the drought conditions.

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

Babyback ribs(3 hours oven, 45 minutes grill) tonight with two types of wings, verde and adobo/honey. Grilled corn and roasted potato salad were on the menu as well. Watched the fireworks from roof deck, via the art museum, for the first time in years. Neighbor behind us took down a tree that had blocked our view the last few years.

IMG_20180704_194258207_1671_2.jpg

@ceeaton Time to stain that nice new railing. ;)
Yes, another vote for staining! She wants to paint it white (that's the way it used to be). The neighbors decided it would look best either stained or sealed. Now sounds like the wine drinkers of the world think it should be stained. I'm holding out and willing to stain or seal it. If it gets painted white she gets to buy the paint and apply it (every several years for the next 20 years).

Yes, another vote for staining! She wants to paint it white (that's the way it used to be). The neighbors decided it would look best either stained or sealed. Now sounds like the wine drinkers of the world think it should be stained. I'm holding out and willing to stain or seal it. If it gets painted white she gets to buy the paint and apply it (every several years for the next 20 years).

Maybe consider a semi-transparent stain. Either paint or stain, you will probably need to reapply about every ~5 yrs or so.

Latest posts

Back