"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geek said:
Bob,

and you still used the older style filter AND housing, correct?
I will be getting a new filter but hesitating to buy new housing and barbs...

Varis
Did you inspect your housing for any damage from using your previous filters ??

Geek,
I'm still using the Pentek #158326 filter assembly. I am also using the original batch of PD-5-934 and PD-1-934 filters that I bought with the assembly. When I replace filters, I'll by the newer filters WITHOUT the hard plastic tube in the center to avoid the potential housing damage caused by the PD-X-934 filters.

JetJockey said:
Geek,
I'm still using the Pentek #158326 filter assembly. I am also using the original batch of PD-5-934 and PD-1-934 filters that I bought with the assembly. When I replace filters, I'll by the newer filters WITHOUT the hard plastic tube in the center to avoid the potential housing damage caused by the PD-X-934 filters.

There was a defect in the filter length of the hard plastic insert - when it actually happened ????

But after talking to the rep he mentioned that the newer filters are the same except it does not have the plastic insert and the newer housing is just better built - referring to the type of plastic that they use to make it with .

Last edited:
Steve,

the filter housing seemed ok when I quickly looked at it; will check it again tonight and post a pic as needed.

Thanks for the follow-ups.

I would not use it !

It does not mention the micron size and it does mention that it is a carbon filter

There was a defect in the filter length of the hard plastic insert - when it actually happened ????

But after talking to the rep he mentioned that the newer filters are the same except it does not have the plastic insert and the newer housing is just better built - referring to the type of plastic that they use to make it with .

has anyone tried to remove the plastic insert ,or trim it?

Ricky -
I thought about it and it would take 1 1/4 '' drill bit or such and for less than 4 dollars ???
I would call filterfast and see if they wont give you a credit or something ?

Ricky -
I thought about it and it would take 1 1/4 '' drill bit or such and for less than 4 dollars ???
I would call filterfast and see if they wont give you a credit or something ?

Hahah.... I bought a case each, of the 1 and 5 microns.... In January!

did you try the paint pen of aligning it up ? see beginning of thread

As long as it aligns up a good seal is created and I would not worry at that point.

Possible dremel tool ???

I just came up with an idea this morning -
They make a saw blade kit for the dremel (rotary tool ) you can go inside and cut away the plastic and pull it out.

see this link for more details - I have seen them at the big box stores as well as harbor freight
http://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Accessories-Circular-Blades-Mandrel/dp/B005WTP3OW
Yeah, Steve I was thinking about a dremel also.... But you think It would leave a BURNT plastic taste or smell.... I'm gonna give them a call this morning to see if they will do something or have any ideas.Im thinking the inserts glued in?... Thanks for helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have as many as you do ricky, I have one left over also bought in January and they denied a credit being the purchase over 6 months.
I would also try to trim this one and if too much trouble then to the garbage.

I don't have as many as you do ricky, I have one left over also bought in January and they denied a credit being the purchase over 6 months.
I would also try to trim this one and if too much trouble then to the garbage.

Yeah geek, just got off the phone with FF, and they said ,what you said ... 6 month return policy... I mentioned that the filters where defective, and she said she never heard that.... Lol... I'll try cutting in

I had good luck softening the plastic boiling water. Check out my earlier post #31 in this thread. The gist is below:

I put about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in a sauce plan and brought it to a boil. I put the bottom of the filter in the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds then flipped the housing a did the same to the top before finally putting the bottom back in the water for an additional 20 - 30 seconds. I then took the filter out of the water, let it drip for a few seconds and put it in the housing while still hot. This softens the plastic inner core enough that it is then fairly easy to get the housing tightened to the marks.

I had good luck softening the plastic boiling water. Check out my earlier post #31 in this thread. The gist is below:

I put about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in a sauce plan and brought it to a boil. I put the bottom of the filter in the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds then flipped the housing a did the same to the top before finally putting the bottom back in the water for an additional 20 - 30 seconds. I then took the filter out of the water, let it drip for a few seconds and put it in the housing while still hot. This softens the plastic inner core enough that it is then fairly easy to get the housing tightened to the marks.

That's a great idea ,grasshopper. Did you have any air bubbles?... I'll try that tomorrow.

Ok so after reading the issues with the filters and the relief valves I want to make sure I buy the right things. This was the list that I believe Steve posted originally:

FILTER HOUSING - 158116 -
WRENCH- SW-1A
BRACKET - 244047
FILTER - 1 MICRON = P1
FILTER - 5 MICRON = P5
Barb fittings - 1/4 npt to 3/8 barb

So is this what I should buy or has there been any changes I should take into consideration? Also I watched the video. What is the purpose of the 9" black tubing that went in the top of the filter housing?

The black tube is to suck wine up from the bottom of WHF case. So at the end, you have less wine loss.

Another way is to turn whf upside down to get all the remaining wine when there is no more wine in your carboy.

Both are working, up to you.

Latest posts

Back