best juicer for beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my juicer primarily for one type fruit - Apples.
Chose the Omega Masticating juicer. Happens to be the 8008C (Refurbished unit)

Works great with apples fresh or frozen. The juice is great and I can strain out some of the courser particles if I want but - I want it all. The pulp that is left is just almost dry as cardboard. My apples are mostly home grown ugly ones that nobody would chose as 'eating apples' because I haven't gone in to spraying a lot at the right times.

This particular juice is noted as improved over previous models with stainless steel screens instead of nylon/plastic found in their earlier models. Current cost for refurb model on Amazon is about $183.00 Not cheap but clearly well made and easy to clean.

I’ve got Omega juicer at home - pretty old fashion, but drains fruits hecking good. Nothing in my household can beat this machine as it has a super durable blade that gives me lots of jucie. I’ve just checked out the price - $219.70 on https://mcdonaldpaper.com/beverage-equipment . Well, when speaking of a price and quality, quality goes first. That’s my rule.

Out riding on Sunday and my buddy was telling me about juicers…health benefits etc…
So it got me thinking but…
After you brought a half decent juicer, then all the fruit and veg….wouldn’t you be better off just buying ready made off the shelf??

Juicer owners….do you still use yours 6 months later??

Remember that there are at least 2 different types of juicers. High Speed juicers with blades and Slow Juicers that crush and press the fruit/veggies/nuts. Juice extractors typically are of the first variety.

The one most folks are use to seeing use a blade to slice whatever you are juicing. The spin at very high speed and induce a lot of oxygen into the juice. This is great for immediate consumption but not so good for wine making as it accelerates the oxidation of the fruit/juice.
I opted for the Omega Slow juicer that literally crushes the fruit/veggies and extracts the juice in that way. As a result it takes longer but I'm happier with the results. With apples, other than the skins and seeds (I core the apples to remove seed and the hard shells around them), everything get pressed hard. The result is a thick juice without skins or the very fibrous parts of the fruit. With peaches IF I use this juicer I go ahead and put those skins and pulp into my must. I just use the juice to totally destroy the pulp and free up all the sugar and flavor I can. There is also a price difference with the slow juicer typically costing more because they have to be tougher to withstand pressures of crushing harder things like nuts and tougher fruit and veggies.
As to how often... I bought this slow juicer for wine making exclusively so that's when I use it.
As to buying off the shelf vs making your own.... Store bought - you don't really know what they did to get that juice, what was removed or added. Remember the bottom line for these companies is making money. Even those Healthy Living companies still have to make a profit to stay in business so they do what it takes to keep in the black on their ledgers. You and I, we want fresh and we want to know what's in there and doing it yourself gives you exactly that.

Best way to see the difference is to watch a few videos of each. Just be aware that YouTube is loaded with video from two hardcore supporters on a particular brand.

Last edited:
Remember that there are at least 2 different types of juicers. High-Speed juicers with blades and Slow Juicers that crush and press the fruit/veggies/nuts. Juice extractors typically are of the first variety.

The one most folks are used to seeing used a blade to slice whatever you are juicing. They spin at a very high speed and induce a lot of oxygen into the juice. This is great for immediate consumption but not so good for winemaking as it accelerates the oxidation of the fruit/juice.
I opted for the Omega Slow juicer that literally crushes the fruit/veggies and extracts the juice in that way. As a result, it takes longer but I'm happier with the results. With apples, other than the skins and seeds (I core the apples to remove the seed and the hard shells around them), everything gets pressed hard. The result is a thick juice without skins or the very fibrous parts of the fruit. With peaches IF I use this juicer, I go ahead and put those skins and pulp into my must. I just use the juice to totally destroy the pulp and free up all the sugar and flavor I can. There is also a price difference with the slow juicer typically costing more because they have to be tougher to withstand pressures of crushing harder things like nuts and tougher fruit and veggies.
As to how often... I bought this slow juicer for winemaking exclusively so that's when I use it.
As to buying off the shelf vs making your own... Store-bought - you don't really know what they did to get that juice, what was removed or added. Remember the bottom line for these companies is making money. Even those Healthy Living companies still have to make a profit to stay in business so they do what it takes to keep in the black on their ledgers. You and I, we want fresh and we want to know what's in there and doing it yourself gives you exactly that.
slow masticating juicer
Best way to see the difference is to watch a few videos of each. Just be aware that YouTube is loaded with video from two hardcore supporters on a particular brand.
i agree with you.

So after getting done using my new steam juicer on Mustang Grapes I am not crazy about the color. It's a lot lighter. Could just be because it's just pulling the juice out which is not purple and leaving the skins pretty much intact. There has to be some water getting into also. Can't really tell about taste as I have not made any jam with it. I went out this morning hoping to pick 5 gallons. Would be enough to make jam, wine and give some to my buddy. I worked hard to get 2 gallons. A lady stopped and talked to me and said was a bumper crop last year. I did my normal method of cooking then straining overnight. Boy, the color is a bunch darker. Won't know until tomorrow how much have but guessing 3 quarts. Not going to make wine now. Thinking of mixing half and half-light with dark with about 4 quarts of light left over.

I let a friend use the steam juicer for 20 lbs peaches. He really liked it. Got enough juice for 5 gallons of wine. I think making wine would be the best use for it.

Very informative thread.

The one type of juicer not really mentioned in this tread is the slow juicers that crush not slice the fruit. Omega is the biggest maker of those for home use and while expensive they work well for smaller batches. Anything over about 3 gallons of wine is going to require a lot of patience. I've made apple and peach wine using an Omega juicer and the the only issue is that I to take it apart and remove the bits clogging the screens up after a bout 3-4 lbs. Tedious but very good. With apples I even scrape the pulp back into the juice and just leave the skins behind. I consider the course pulp to be like a fresh apple sauce without the cooking.

Slow juicers, which crush rather than slice the fruit, are one type of juicer not discussed in this article. Omega is the most popular brand for home use, and while they are pricey, they perform well for little batches. Anything above 3 gallons of wine will necessitate a great deal of patience. I've made apple and peach wine with an Omega juicer, and the only problem is that after around 3-4 pounds, I have to disassemble it and remove the debris clogging the screens. It's tedious, but it's very nice. I even scrape the pulp back into the juice and just leave the skins behind when using apples. The course pulp, in my opinion, is similar to fresh apple sauce without the heating.

So after getting done using my new steam juicer on Mustang Grapes I am not crazy about the color. It's a lot lighter. Could just be because it's just pulling the juice out which is not purple and leaving the skins pretty much intact. There has to be some water getting into also. Can't really tell about taste as I have not made any jam with it. I went out this morning hoping to pick 5 gallons. Would be enough to make jam, wine and give some to my buddy. I worked hard to get 2 gallons. A lady stopped and talked to me and said was a bumper crop last year. I did my normal method of cooking then straining overnight. Boy, the color is a bunch darker. Won't know until tomorrow how much have but guessing 3 quarts. Not going to make wine now. Thinking of mixing half and half-light with dark with about 4 quarts of light left over Vitamix 6300 review.

I let a friend use the steam juicer for 20 lbs peaches. He really liked it. Got enough juice for 5 gallons of wine. I think making wine would be the best use for it.
no response of this question.

So after getting done using my new steam juicer on Mustang Grapes I am not crazy about the color. It's a lot lighter. Could just be because it's just pulling the juice out which is not purple and leaving the skins pretty much intact. There has to be some water getting into also. Can't really tell about taste as I have not made any jam with it. I went out this morning hoping to pick 5 gallons. Would be enough to make jam, wine and give some to my buddy. I worked hard to get 2 gallons. A lady stopped and talked to me and said was a bumper crop last year. I did my normal method of cooking then straining overnight. Boy, the color is a bunch darker. Won't know until tomorrow how much have but guessing 3 quarts. Not going to make wine now. Thinking of mixing half and half-light with dark with about 4 quarts of light left over.

no response of this question.

WADR, @jdixon , I don't see a question in your post. Can you tell us what your question is?

Juicing is a popular way for an increasing number of individuals to reduce weight quickly, acquire sufficient nutrition, and support healthy lifestyles.

Slow juicers, which crush rather than slice the fruit, are one type of juicer not discussed in this article. Omega is the most popular brand for home use, and while they are pricey, they perform well for little batches. Anything above 3 gallons of wine will necessitate a great deal of patience. I've made apple and peach wine with an Omega juicer, and the only problem is that after around 3-4 pounds, I have to disassemble it and remove the debris clogging the screens. It's tedious, but it's very nice. I even scrape the pulp back into the juice and just leave the skins behind when using apples. The course pulp, in my opinion, is similar to fresh apple sauce without heating. best juicer for celery

Last edited:
Slow juicers, which crush rather than slice the fruit, are one type of juicer not discussed in this article. Omega is the most popular brand for home use, and while they are pricey, they perform well for little batches. Anything above 3 gallons of wine will necessitate a great deal of patience. I've made apple and peach wine with an Omega juicer, and the only problem is that after around 3-4 pounds, I have to disassemble it and remove the debris clogging the screens. It's tedious, but it's very nice. I even scrape the pulp back into the juice and just leave the skins behind when using apples. The course pulp, in my opinion, is similar to fresh apple sauce without heating. best juicer for celery

Yes. It is on the expensive side but if you’re going to take juicing seriously, there’s no better way to start than using this machine. You can think of it as an investment in your health. The massive benefit this has vs the others is that it has the highest juice yield and it’s super easy to clean. You’d clean it the same way you would any other juicer but with this, it has built in wiper blades that un-clog pulp from your juicing screen. Just pour some water in the spout, let it run and then when you take it apart you just need to give it a good rinse. If you’re a beginner and you want to start with safety and simple juicer for celery money can buy.

I bought my beginner juicer Choose the Omega VSJ843QS. Yes. It is on the expensive side but if you’re going to take juicing seriously, there’s no better way to start than using this machine. You can think of it as an investment in your health. The massive benefit this has vs the others is that it has the highest juice yield and it’s super easy to clean. You’d clean it the same way you would any other juicer but with this, it has built in wiper blades that un-clog pulp from your juicing screen. Just pour some water in the spout, let it run and then when you take it apart you just need to give it a good rinse. If you’re a beginner and you want to start with safety and simple juicer for celery money can buy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back