WINE MAKER on TV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Watch...Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel...March 6th and 12th at 9 PM EST [8PM CST] Also on at 12 and 1 AM [EST]those evenings...

Don't know what could be dirty about making wine....

Wine Maker

Mike gets dirty in Napa Valley as he takes on the dirty job of making wine. Mike then rolls up his sleeves and gets dirty at a Kansas Cattle Ranch where he gets a lesson on how dirty the cattle business can be.

Will be dirty in the cattle lot...

Should be fun to watch.

Why was Mike Rowe in my fermenting tank? I thought you never want to
put any bad fruit in a batch of wine? The part about the Noble mold
confused me as to using it in dessert wine!

Wade there are always exceptions to all rules as you know. Mistakes are made all the time and sometimes they turn out good, that's part of the reason to keep records. Certain types of wines have been made after being infected with noble molds-maybe the crop got moldy and there was nothing else to make their wine out of. After going ahead and making it, they discovered it had a unique flavor they liked. In the case of Vignoles Ice wine, the Botrytis concentrates the juice in the grape and intensifies the flavors of peach, apricot and honey. Check the Feb/March issue of Winemaker Magazine for the article on Vignoles-page 19. They make other wines with the mold other places with other varieties.

I guess the difference here is that the fruit is not bad as in stinkie, just moldy!

Commercial wine making is really no different than any commercial preparation of anything. If you visited processing plants you probably wouldn't eat the food after. I worked in a factory that makes paper cups for fast food for a few years. You will rarely see me drink from a paper cup at a fast food place.

From what I gained from the program, he was in the tank after the wine had been pumped out and was cleaning the waste products out. Guess that was a commercial version of Gross Lees. Remember he was told there were 8 tons of grapes in that tank? Wonder if that was one of those 12,000 gallon tanks the Wine Maker referred to? Was an interesting show though.

Smurfe

I liked the show....Seems this was about the best 'Dirty Jobs' he has had....At least he ended the show in an ejoyable state...

Good ifo Appleman, I think I'll play it safe and stick to fruit that looks well though!

I watched that and I was talking to Frank at the time. So we both got off the phone and watched,,,,Mike Rowe....I love that guy. The winemaking was very interesting. I would think that a mattress made of the wine stems would be quite "bouncy" and yes the "bung hole " got a lot of attention...but the episode I liked best was the "Geoducks"......very interesting creature..don't know if I could eat one..unless I had some X-71 to wash it down.
RamonaFine Vine Wines Forum: X-71 Experimental Wine
Edited by: rgecaprock

Yea, those things were weird. He seems like a guy Id want to hang around with.

Its on again @ 1:00 this afternoon and 8:00 or 9:00 on Monday night(not sure which time on Monday)

Yes, this one is the only one I have ever seen come on so many times in
a row. I wonder if they know how many people make their own wine and
were making sure they hit their mark on this particular show!

I just watched it. I think I'm goin to quit my job tomorrow, tie a bandana around a long stick and hit the road. If you all need me I'll be headed to California Vineyards.
smiley2.gif

Back