when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Sharaz and corinthian grapes

Wineexpert Shiraz Kit

Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit had the bulk of the items listed below included (we added the Corinth grapes, simple syrup, different yeast, and extra tannins).

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 1 Lb Corinth Grapes (we crushed them)
· 1 Package of ICV-D254 (this kit came with a red-star premium yeast packet, I choose this packet. More info below.)
· 2 Ball Jars of Simple Syrup (each ball jar equates to 1% abv)
· bentonite
· Metabisulphite
· Sorbate
· Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· 1 Hungarian Oak
· 1 tbsp wine tannins
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.080.
· Now, here comes the Hungarian oak!
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! This kit came with a Red Star Premier yeast. I however choose to use ICV-D254. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.

These are the characteristics and the reasons why we choose the yeast we choose:
ICV-D254 (when used with Shiraz) makes wine that has a big mouth feel and rounding of tannins, intense fruit, more dried then fresh along with a nice spicy quality if present in the fruit. Helps with color, stability and its useful for adding body to blends.

(from here on down is still info for amarone, we have to still edit it. We are not yet in the secondary for the shiraz)
UPDATE:
We are looking forward to our next tutorial now that this one is complete. Please give us feedback and recommendations of what type of wine you would like to learn how to make.

11 one lb of corinth grapes.jpg

12 gently crushed grapes.jpg

IMG_20140816_132107459 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20141001_165936654.jpg

IMG_20141023_155518703.jpg

IMG_20141023_155552356.jpg

IMG_20141029_185655541.jpg

IMG_20141030_124902612.jpg

IMG_20141030_125140802.jpg

Last edited:
SHARAZ with black CORTHINIAN grapes

Winexpert Shiraz Kit

Here is our kit that we received from Winexpert. This kit had the bulk of the items listed below included (we added the Corinth grapes, simple syrup, different yeast, and extra tannins).

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 1 Lb Corinth Grapes (we crushed them)
· 1 Package of ICV-D254 (this kit came with a red-star premium yeast packet, I choose this packet. More info below.)
· 2 Ball Jars of Simple Syrup (each ball jar equates to 1% abv)
· bentonite
· Metabisulphite
· Sorbate
· Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· 1 Hungarian Oak
· 1 tbsp wine tannins
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.080.
· Now, here comes the Hungarian oak!
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! This kit came with a Red Star Premier yeast. I however choose to use ICV-D254. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.

These are the characteristics and the reasons why we choose the yeast we choose:
ICV-D254 (when used with Shiraz) makes wine that has a big mouth feel and rounding of tannins, intense fruit, more dried then fresh along with a nice spicy quality if present in the fruit. Helps with color, stability and its useful for adding body to blends.

UPDATE:

We are looking forward to our next tutorial now that this one is complete. Please give us feedback and recommendations of what type of wine you would like to learn how to make.

THIS IS A OUTSTANDING YOUNG DRINKING WITH NO AGING REQUIRED

IMG_20141001_165936654.jpg

IMG_20141001_171443736.jpg

IMG_20141023_163428609.jpg

Last edited:
Sharaz /viognier

this was a super kit to work with and a excellent finishing wine with a couple of months in the bottle to set up it will be a excellent addition to the cellar and i would do this one again.:hb

IMG_20140330_122520269.jpg

IMG_20140330_122536984.jpg

IMG_20140330_122710081.jpg

IMG_20140728_132604638.jpg

IMG_20140728_132613537.jpg

IMG_20140728_132639615.jpg

IMG_20140728_132954958.jpg

IMG_20140728_134037405.jpg

IMG_20140728_134341215.jpg

IMG_20140728_134410423.jpg

Sharaza /viognier

NOTICED HOW I REHYDRATED THE FPAC,JUST GENTLY WARMED IT OVER A LOW FLAME,THIS REDYDRATES QUICKER AND STARTS TO RELEAST THE ELEMENTS IF ANY LEFT IN THE FPAC SUPPLIED BY THE MFG.....:spm

IMG_20140728_134920374.jpg

IMG_20140728_135136682.jpg

IMG_20140728_135558934.jpg

IMG_20140728_135741110.jpg

IMG_20140728_143110785_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140728_143203026.jpg

IMG_20140910_135359077.jpg

Sharaz viognier,,cru 6 week kit

great kit great finished product adding the few tweaks makes all the difference..................:wy

IMG_20140910_152627566.jpg

Hi Joe,
I see that you re hydrated the fpac that came with the kit. Understood.
Did you then discard the water after you re-hydrated it?
Thanks
Corinth

Corinth, I am guessing that Joe used that water as part of the addition to the concentrate. I would certainly do that because it would give more flavor than plain water.

Sharaz /viognier

THAT'S correct ROCKY, no sense in tossing out pure extract ,it's all good for the mix.

IMG_20140728_134920374.jpg

IMG_20140728_135558934.jpg

IMG_20140728_143110785_HDR.jpg

What's on the wine table

THIS year we will think small and achieve big flavors:

:spm first :from WE , we are going to make a DIABLO ROJO KIT.I chose to make this for the simple reason I never made a ROJO style wine. the Kit was $79.99 there going up. TASTING notes, Off dry and dark purple in color with a nose of blackberry jam and creamy vanilla aromas and a touch of tobacco. Oak heavy and medium body.

:D tweaks: bump up abv.to 1.10,add smoked staves ,add tannins and a small amount of blackberries.

SECOND:FROM WE, blackberry desert port. THIS one I have a taste sample bottle from BOATBOY to see what his is like, never tasting one this is the best way .PLAN

MY TWEAKS: will be to bump up abv to 1.12 add a quart of blackberries to the primary add tannins to the secondary then wait>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:se

FROM SPAGNOL'S :CRU INTERNATIONAL: Semillon sauvignon blanc, MY tweaks: will be boost the abv. to 1.10,add 1/2/ cup oak, change the yeast to d47,and add the Thompson seedless grape fpac to the secondary just for added support to the body.:spm

FROM WE;TORRONTES,this was one I have always wanted to try now it will be done.MY Tweaks' on this one will be MODERATE using EC1118 for the yeast, boost the abv. to 1.10,this wine has a citrus and mineral taste to it, so if any thing I'll add some grapefruit zest after the secondary for a week of two just to give it bite, and brighten up the finish.:b
I also have two ciders will do in-between.
We're going to be busy so hang in there with us and as always............THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX :dg

Last edited:
Diablo rojo kit

SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO START THE NEW YEAR OFF,THIS IS A DIABLO ROJO KIT FROM WE/VINTNER ADDITION .A BLANK CANVAS TO DO MY STYLE OF WINE MAKING ON,LOTS OF OAK,14%ABV AND FRUIT FORWARD WHEN I"M FINISHED,STAY TUNED AND SEE HOW I LIKE TO PLAY WITH MY DRINK..FOLLOW THE FLOW AND WATCH THE TWEAKS ..:db

1.jpg

3.jpg

4 (2).jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Diablo rojo kit

PART ONE CONTINUES.....FOLLOW THE FLOW,,.:wy I KNOW THE ABV. SEEMS HIGH BUT NOT FOR A LOT OF EUROPEAN WINES THIS ONE WILL BE ROBUST IN EVER ASPECT ,TASTE,AROMA AND STRUCTURE.

11.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16 (2).jpg

16 (3).jpg

16a.jpg

18 (2).jpg

18 (4).jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
Diablo rojo kit

NOW DAY 5 AND IT'S STILL FERMENTING STRONG AND SMELLS GREAT....:se

18 (2).jpg

IMG_20150120_115804463.jpg

DIABLO ROJO KIT continued

now we are in the degassing stage and waiting to see stage...........it smells great and looks delouses

IMG_20150127_152207678.jpg

Torrontes

WHILE THE DIABLO ROJO HAS IS STILL MOVING FORWARD I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE YOU WHO HAVEN'T BEEN AWARE OF A GREAT WHITE ARGENTINIAN WHITE WINE,TORRONTES.LETS TAKE A LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF THIS GRAPE AND IT'S MAKE UP.I WILL BE DOING A WE 2012/KIT,CHANGING THE YEAST AND BOOSTING UP THE ABV. THAT'S ALL.NOTICE THE KIT DATE!NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CONTENTS EXCEPT THE YEAST WILL CHANGE THAT TO NEW BUT KEEP THE TYPE,WHICH IS A LAVIN/K1-V1116.
TORRONTES is a white Argentine winegrape variety, producing

TORRONTES

Grape (Vitis)

Color of berry skin
Blanc
Species
Vitis vinifera
Also called
Torrontés Riojano, Torrontés Sanjuanino, Torrontés Mendocino, Torrontel, and other synonyms
Notable regions
Argentina

fresh, aromatic wines with moderate acidity, smooth texture and mouthfeel as well as distinctive peach and apricot aromas on the nose.[1] Three Torrontés varieties exist in Argentina: Torrontés Riojano, the most common, Torrontés Sanjuanino, and Torrontés Mendocino. It is primarily Torrontés Riojano that has received attention for the quality of its wines, and is the variety used for most Argentine wines simply labeled Torrontés.[2]
The three grapes are relatively similar but do have some noticeable differences. Torrontés Riojano and Torrontés Sanjuanino both tend to have large loose bunches of pale grapes while Torrontés Mendocino, however, has smaller, tighter bunches of darker yellow grapes. Torrontés Riojano is the most aromatic of the three, with aromas reminiscent of Muscat and Gewürtztraminer wines. The least aromatic, and least widely planted, is Torrontés Mendocino with the aromatics and plantings of Torrontés Sanjuanino falling in between.[3] All three Argentine Torrontés varieties belong to the Criollas group of grape varieties, which is a term used for presumably American-born cultivars of the European grapevine Vitis vinifera.[4]
Around 8,700 hectares (21,000 acres) in Argentina have been planted with Torrontés Riojano, and 4,850 hectares (12,000 acres) with Torrontés Sanjuanino. Plantings in the very high altitudes (1700m+) of the Calchaquíes Valleys in the far north of Argentina have recently met with success. The vine is highly productive and is just under ten percent of all white grape plantings, however as a varietal, it made up almost 20 percent of all white wine sold in Argentina in 2008. The Salta region in northwest Argentina is particularly noted for its Torrontés as the grape thrives in cold dry, windswept conditions.
History and relation to other grapes

DNA evidence suggest that the Mission grape (seen here in a late 19th-century photo growing in California) is one of the parents of Torrontés.
Recent research using DNA profiling has shown that the different Torrontés are genetically closely related but distinct grape varieties, and that Torrontés Riojano, Torrontés Sanjuanino, and Torontel (also known as Moscatel Amarillo) are all separate crossings of Mission (originally reported as Criolla Chica) and Muscat of Alexandria.[5][6][7] Torrontés Mendocino was found to probably be a crossing of Muscat of Alexandria and another, so far unidentified grape variety.[8] While the Muscat-like qualities of the Torrontés varieties meant that a relationship to Muscat of Alexandria had been expected, the presence of Mission or Criolla Chica in the pedigree was unexpected to the researchers.[9]
For many years it was believed that the Torrontés of South America was the same variety as the Torrontés grape from Galicia in Spain, also known as Albillo Mayor. This widespread belief was due, in part, to the frequent migration waves of Galician workers that have immigrated to Argentina throughout its history.[2] Indeed, even wine expert Jancis Robinson, noted as much in her 1986 book on the world's grape varieties.[1] However, recent DNA evidence shows that there is probably no direct relationship between the Argentine and Spanish Torrontés varieties[10] and more recent editions of Robinson's wine books acknowledge the new findings.[2]
There is also a less common red wine grape called Torrontés, which is also known under the synonyms Tarrantes and Turrundos.[11]
Wine regions[

The provinces of Argentina that grow the most Torrontés. Torrontés Riojano is most widely grown in La Rioja (red) and Salta (orange). Torrontés Sanjuanino is most widely grown in the San Juan province (yellow) while Torrontés Mendocino is most widely grown in the Rio Negro province (blue).

An Argentinian Torrontés.
Torrontés is grown throughout Argentina and its acreage is steadily increasing. Part of its increase in numbers comes from the increase in Argentine wine exportation where the grape has found considerable success in the United States, United Kingdom and aboard but also from a better understanding and identification of the different Torrontés varieties that allow for better accounting of plantings. For most of its history (including into the late 20th century) Torrontés lagged behind Pedro Giménez and Ugni blanc among white grape varieties in Argentina.[2] But by the early 21st century, declining plantings in those two varieties and the growing popularity of Torrontés allowed it to surpass them and become Argentina's most widely planted white variety where it continued to be as of 2008.[4]
The different Torrontés varieties have developed niche in different areas of Argentina. Torrontés Riojano is widely grown in the La Rioja and Salta provinces of northern Argentina and is, in fact, the single most widely planted variety (both red and white) in La Rioja. In Salta, the grape is often planted in high altitude, sandy vineyards that are often more than 1,600 meters (5,200 feet) above sea level. Here, the harsh growing conditions allow the variety to attain high acidity and assertive flavors.[4]
In the arid San Juan province, Torrontés Sanjuanino is found but is planted to a much less significant amount than Torrontés Riojano. Torrontés Mendocino is, by far, the least widely planted variety and is mostly found in the southern province of Rio Negro.[2]
Outside of Argentina[
Torrontés is grown in Chile, however, the exact number of plantings (and of which variety) are not completely known. In 1996, Jancis Robinson noted that there were several hundred hectares of Torontel grown but some of these plantings may actually be the Galician variety. Additionally, Torrontés is known in Chile often under the synonym Moscatel de Austria (believed to be Torrontés Sanjuanino).[2]
According to wine expert Oz Clarke, most plantings of Torrontés in Chile is Torrontés Riojano and the grape is primarily used in the production of Chilean brandy wine known as pisco.[3]
Spanish Torrontés[edit]
While DNA evidence shows that there is probably no relationship between the Galician variety of Torrontés and the South American variety, consumers may still see Spanish wine labeled as Torrontés from the Galician wine region of Ribeiro as well as other Denominación de Origens in such as the Gran Canaria of the Canary Islands (most likely the Terrantez variety of Madeira[4]), Montilla-Moriles and Madrid.[3]
Wine style[

Torrontés growing in the Cafayate vineyard of the Salta province.
According to wine expert Janis Robinson, Torrontés has the capability of producing wines of high quality, but its success is dependent on the skill and care of the winemaking process, particularly in maintaining suitable acid levels to balance the wine. At its most ideal, Robinson notes, Torrontés are "wines for early drinking that are not too heavy, are high in acidity, and are intriguingly aromatic in a way reminiscent of but not identical to Muscat."[2] But poorer made examples can come across as bitter and excessively alcoholic.[4]
Wine expert Oz Clarke, also notes the dependency on careful vinification for the quality of Torrontés but also notes that the size of the harvestyield can also play a substantial role. While the aroma of Torrontés is often associated with Muscat, Clarke notes that many examples can be very similar to Gewürztraminer with subtle spice notes mixed with the floral bouquet of the wine. Clarke also notes that the wine tends not to age very well and is often consumed within a year of its vintage date.[3]

IMG_20150127_155020678.jpg

Last edited:
Torrontes in the mix

LETS GET STARTED ON THIS KIT IT'S A TWO YEAR OLD KIT GOT IT AT A GOOD PRICE REVISED THE YEAST LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS.:spm IF WE GOT A DEAL OR A DOG.:tz
Torrontés is a white Argentine wine grape variety, producing
Color of berry skin
Blanc
Species
Vitis vinifera
Also called
Torrontés Riojano, Torrontés Sanjuanino, Torrontés Mendocino, Torrontel, and other synonyms
Notable regions
Argentina

fresh, aromatic wines with moderate acidity, smooth texture and mouthfeel as well as distinctive peach and apricot aromas on the nose.[1] Three Torrontés varieties exist in Argentina: Torrontés Riojano, the most common, Torrontés Sanjuanino, and Torrontés Mendocino. It is primarily Torrontés Riojano that has received attention for the quality of its wines, and is the variety used for most Argentine wines simply labeled Torrontés.[2]
The three grapes are relatively similar but do have some noticeable differences. Torrontés Riojano and Torrontés Sanjuanino both tend to have large loose bunches of pale grapes while Torrontés Mendocino, however, has smaller, tighter bunches of darker yellow grapes. Torrontés Riojano is the most aromatic of the three, with aromas reminiscent of Muscat and Gewürtztraminer wines. The least aromatic, and least widely planted, is Torrontés Mendocino with the aromatics and plantings of Torrontés Sanjuanino falling in between.[3] All three Argentine Torrontés varieties belong to the Criollas group of grape varieties, which is a term used for presumably American-born cultivars of the European grapevine Vitis vinifera.[4]
Around 8,700 hectares (21,000 acres) in Argentina have been planted with Torrontés Riojano, and 4,850 hectares (12,000 acres) with Torrontés Sanjuanino. Plantings in the very high altitudes (1700m+) of the Calchaquíes Valleys in the far north of Argentina have recently met with success. The vine is highly productive and is just under ten percent of all white grape plantings, however as a varietal, it made up almost 20 percent of all white wine sold in Argentina in 2008. The Salta region in northwest Argentina is particularly noted for its Torrontés as the grape thrives in cold dry, windswept conditions.
History and relation to other grapes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mission_grapes,_by_Hayward_&_Muzzall.jpg
DNA evidence suggest that the Mission grape (seen here in a late 19th-century photo growing in California) is one of the parents of Torrontés.
Recent research using DNA profiling has shown that the different Torrontés are genetically closely related but distinct grape varieties, and that Torrontés Riojano, Torrontés Sanjuanino, and Torontel (also known as Moscatel Amarillo) are all separate crossings of Mission (originally reported as Criolla Chica) and Muscat of Alexandria.[5][6][7] Torrontés Mendocino was found to probably be a crossing of Muscat of Alexandria and another, so far unidentified grape variety.[8] While the Muscat-like qualities of the Torrontés varieties meant that a relationship to Muscat of Alexandria had been expected, the presence of Mission or Criolla Chica in the pedigree was unexpected to the researchers.[9]
For many years it was believed that the Torrontés of South America was the same variety as the Torrontés grape from Galicia in Spain, also known as Albillo Mayor. This widespread belief was due, in part, to the frequent migration waves of Galician workers that have immigrated to Argentina throughout its history.[2] Indeed, even wine expert Jancis Robinson, noted as much in her 1986 book on the world's grape varieties.[1] However, recent DNA evidence shows that there is probably no direct relationship between the Argentine and Spanish Torrontés varieties[10] and more recent editions of Robinson's wine books acknowledge the new findings.[2]
There is also a less common red wine grape called Torrontés, which is also known under the synonyms Tarrantes and Turrundos.[11]
Wine regions[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Argentine_provinces_growing_Torrontes.jpg
The provinces of Argentina that grow the most Torrontés. Torrontés Riojano is most widely grown in La Rioja (red) and Salta (orange). Torrontés Sanjuanino is most widely grown in the San Juan province (yellow) while Torrontés Mendocino is most widely grown in the Rio Negro province (blue).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Argentina_torrontes.jpg
An Argentinian Torrontés.
Torrontés is grown throughout Argentina and its acreage is steadily increasing. Part of its increase in numbers comes from the increase in Argentine wine exportation where the grape has found considerable success in the United States, United Kingdom and aboard but also from a better understanding and identification of the different Torrontés varieties that allow for better accounting of plantings. For most of its history (including into the late 20th century) Torrontés lagged behind Pedro Giménez and Ugni blanc among white grape varieties in Argentina.[2] But by the early 21st century, declining plantings in those two varieties and the growing popularity of Torrontés allowed it to surpass them and become Argentina's most widely planted white variety where it continued to be as of 2008.[4]
The different Torrontés varieties have developed niche in different areas of Argentina. Torrontés Riojano is widely grown in the La Rioja and Salta provinces of northern Argentina and is, in fact, the single most widely planted variety (both red and white) in La Rioja. In Salta, the grape is often planted in high altitude, sandy vineyards that are often more than 1,600 meters (5,200 feet) above sea level. Here, the harsh growing conditions allow the variety to attain high acidity and assertive flavors.[4]
In the arid San Juan province, Torrontés Sanjuanino is found but is planted to a much less significant amount than Torrontés Riojano. Torrontés Mendocino is, by far, the least widely planted variety and is mostly found in the southern province of Rio Negro.[2]
Outside of Argentina[
Torrontés is grown in Chile, however, the exact number of plantings (and of which variety) are not completely known. In 1996, Jancis Robinson noted that there were several hundred hectares of Torontel grown but some of these plantings may actually be the Galician variety. Additionally, Torrontés is known in Chile often under the synonym Moscatel de Austria (believed to be Torrontés Sanjuanino).[2]
According to wine expert Oz Clarke, most plantings of Torrontés in Chile is Torrontés Riojano and the grape is primarily used in the production of Chilean brandy wine known as pisco.[3]
Spanish Torrontés[edit]
While DNA evidence shows that there is probably no relationship between the Galician variety of Torrontés and the South American variety, consumers may still see Spanish wine labeled as Torrontés from the Galician wine region of Ribeiro as well as other Denominación de Origens in such as the Gran Canaria of the Canary Islands (most likely the Terrantez variety of Madeira[4]), Montilla-Moriles and Madrid.[3]
Wine style[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cafayate_vineyard.jpg
Torrontés growing in the Cafayate vineyard of the Salta province.
According to wine expert Jancis Robinson, Torrontés has the capability of producing wines of high quality, but its success is dependent on the skill and care of the winemaking process, particularly in maintaining suitable acid levels to balance the wine. At its most ideal, Robinson notes, Torrontés are "wines for early drinking that are not too heavy, are high in acidity, and are intriguingly aromatic in a way reminiscent of but not identical to Muscat."[2] But poorer made examples can come across as bitter and excessively alcoholic.[4]
Wine expert Oz Clarke, also notes the dependency on careful vinification for the quality of Torrontés but also notes that the size of the harvest yield can also play a substantial role. While the aroma of Torrontés is often associated with Muscat, Clarke notes that many examples can be very similar to Gewürztraminer with subtle spice notes mixed with the floral bouquet of the wine. Clarke also notes that the wine tends not to age very well and is often consumed within a year of its vintage date.[3]

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4A.jpg

5 (2).jpg

5.jpg

5A.jpg

6 (2).jpg

Torrontes in the mix

several days in to fermentation and it's looking great low foaming action and dense aroma.

15.jpg

Torrontes in the mix

go back and review the Torrontés in the mix before we move on........................................................:try

1A.jpg

Latest posts

Back