Corks in screw top bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallardBoy

Junior
Reaction score
About to start my first batch (yahoo!) using Vino Italiano Tuscany Rosso kit. I have been collecting bottles and began wondering if I can use #8 corks in screw top bottles. Has anyone tried or is it asking for problems? Thanks for any assistance you can give me!

Most screw top bottles are not designed to handle the pressure from the cork. most here would not recommend this practice.

Get some screw tops and use them :)

Had a feeling that was the case so you confirmed what I thought David. Thanks for your input!

Some people cork screw top bottles. However, it's not something that most of us do.

BTW, finding screw caps that will fit most commercial wine bottles is not an easy chore, There are two broad types of screw caps.

First, the coffee flavouring type bottle. Some LHBSes sell this type of bottle. New caps are readiy available for these.

Second, the Stelvin style screw cap bottle, that is pretty much standard for the commercial wine industry. New caps not available due to the method of cap application.

Steve

A real danger exists when a unsuspecting person uncorks that bottle and puts pressure on the side of the bottle causing the neck to snap off in pieces.

Some people cork screw top bottles. However, it's not something that most of us do.

BTW, finding screw caps that will fit most commercial wine bottles is not an easy chore, There are two broad types of screw caps.

First, the coffee flavouring type bottle. Some LHBSes sell this type of bottle. New caps are readiy available for these.

Second, the Stelvin style screw cap bottle, that is pretty much standard for the commercial wine industry. New caps not available due to the method of cap application.

Steve

My favorite everyday use bottle had a stelvin cap on it when it was given to me. But I'm using a metal screw cap I got from my local wine shop that fits perfectly. I'm getting these caps for 11 cent each. The big problem is finding enough screw top bottles to handle the amount of wine I'm trying to make.

LOL I know my first message was strong but I don't want any of you guys or gals to be typing on the forum sans a finger due to a bottle neck breaking when trying to cork/uncork an improper bottle.
Use the right tools for the job and stay safe!

This is an interesting topic. I had a question that is related. What about putting wine and corks in screw top champagne bottles? They are
Much thicker than cork type wine bottles so I did nor know if this was acceptable.

Posted about this just the other day. Before I knew better, I corked a screw top bottle with a no. 8 cork using one of those plastic handy corkers. Found it the other day and thought mite as well try and open it. It had been laying on its side for over a year. Put the corkscrew to it and with very little pressure, pushed the cork into the bottle. {Not enough pressure to get the cork screw started}. For some reason the wine was still good, in fact it was very good. But there is not enough neck on the bottle to hold a 8 cork fast. That being said, after finding out about the bottles breaking, will not cork a screw top again. When opening it, I had heard about the bottles breaking and was being very careful. Arne.

I find that the screw top bottole have a wider opening than the standard 750ml bottles I use. Not so big as they leak, but I sure notice that the wine tends to oxidize somewhat over time and the corks slide out a little too easy.

I do it all the time without any issue. Regardless all other comments not an issue uncorking the bottles. They don't look pretty, but is there any problem? I drink wine not collect bottles.

So if you are going to add screw-top bottles to your inventory, why not simply invest in some screw-tops instead of riding the fence about corks???:ft

Well, at the risk of drawing the fire of those more knowledgeable than I - after talking to the owner of the local wine supply store - I corked about 2 dozen of them. He also warned about the possibility of the neck breaking - that was his concern. I use a #8 X 1.5" cork and no issues. No breaking, no leaking, no falling in corks. I have a stand to hold the bottles so I can apply even pressure on the handles as the cork goes in. So I will continue to cork the screw tops until I can afford to replace them with regular bottles.
And, as a final note, I had a friend give me 5 cases of Verdi Spumante bottles. The glass is MUCH thicker & the neck is longer and straighter than a regular screw-top. And I intend to fill a bunch of them this weekend.

Back