Adding Tannin?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Does anyone add tannin to their juice bucket at fermentation. If so what were the results? Is it even recommended or not? I was thinking of adding it to my Merlot and Carmenere Chilean buckets this year . Any thought?

Yes in the past I have. Just a small amount. But that was because I forgot to get oak chips or oak powder, which is what I would prefer. Never have done both. And not sure if it is recommended. Don't they pretty much do the same thing in primary?

> Don't they pretty much do the same thing in primary?

In the Primary, they act as "sacrificial" tannin.
Added early in the fermentation cycle, these tannins combine with proteins and other grape components and precipitate out into the lees. Because these enological tannins are available for those reactions, natural grape tannins are preserved and are able to combine with grape anthocyanins to create optimally stable color.

That is very interesting. I would assume adding a form of tannin to must that is still on the skins would have an even stronger effect than an all juice batch. I never knew HOW tannins helped with the color and mouthfeel in the primary.
I wasn't asking if the natural tannins would be doing the same thing as added tannin though. I was wondering if all forms of tannin additions are interchangeable with each other in this case? OakChips/ oak powder/ liquid tannin/powder tannin/skins pack ?

I just picked my (Chilean) buckets this week......pitched yeast last night (71B 1122) and will add some (grape) tannin's this evening. It calls for 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon......I'll probably do half the recommended amount now for good mouth feel later. I've also added (grape) tannin later on in the bulk aging process as well.......just to give it added body.

How are you adding it? Are you going to mix with hot water first then add it to the juice?

Also what is the difference between "grape" tannin vs just Tannin...here is what i have on hand...

image1 (15).JPG

I normally mix the tannin in a small glass of wine/must to dissolve it first then add it back in.....some folks also "bench" test by adding small dosages to a (750 ml) bottle to get the body/mouth feel they like then do the math to determine the dosage for the lager (carboy) quantities. It really depends on your taste buds......

Latest posts

Back