What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What choo talking bout Willis!

I'm really thinking hard about letting one of those squirrels out of the cage tonight......but I keep telling myself that I know better, but then again, I have plenty of bottles, but then why risk wasting one, but then they're not super expensive, but then they'll be better later.....you know the drill.

227c0c_8c035d2ab34c4098a5c0deb5aa1e6167.jpg

I'm really thinking hard about letting one of those squirrels out of the cage tonight......but I keep telling myself that I know better, but then again, I have plenty of bottles, but then why risk wasting one, but then they're not super expensive, but then they'll be better later.....you know the drill.

I will have to do a vertical tasting someday with the '12 and '13! :)

Too late, the nest is down one squirrel, which was no worse for the travel. A very nice full bodied blend, tannic, fruity, nice mid palate, tad short on the finish, but for the price, it's definitely a winner!

The community tasting notes on CT are about the same for both vintages with the average being ~90pts.

I'd be interested in your results, the guy at Liner and Elsen (where I ordered from) said that he thought the '13 was a tad better than the '12, but he had no more '12 for sale, so I didn't get the two to compare.

Have had all three. Wasn't crazy about the Malbec, but the others I like!

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll hold off on the Gascon.

Due to arrive:

1.) Amalaya Melbec 2015
2.) BenMarco Malbec 2013
3.) Bodegas Volver Turima 2015
4.) Cantele Salice Salentino Riserva 2013
5.) Charles Smith Kung Fu Girl Riesling 2015
6.) Chateau Peymouton 2012
7.) Domaine Laf-age Cuvee Nicolas 2014
8.) Jim Barry The Lodge Hill Shiraz 2013
9.) Matetic EQ Coastal Sauvignon Blanc 2015

Ohhhh!!! Please indulge me with a review, especially of the Chateau Paradis.

Allright, James. Since you asked.

40% Syrah, 30% Grenache, 30% Cab Sauv. Nice pink color. Very dry and crisp with firm 'flinty-ness'. But there's enough fruit there to prevent you from thinking you're licking a cinder block. :) There are nice floral aromatics on the nose, and the finish shows strawberry and a touch of peach.

I give it an 89 and am not at all disappointed with the purchase.

Took advantage of a late Spring cool down (its currently snowing here) and scored a quick killer deal on a few bottles of the 2014 Sparkman "Holler" Cabernet Sauvignon! Last two years this wine has been an incredible QPR wine. The 13' snagged 94pts WS and the '14 just pulled in a cool 93pts WS. Top it off that I was able to purchase it for $26.95 a bottle (w/o shipping) and it looks like I stole something! :db

Not on the Sparkman list (I probably should be) but I have been cherry picking their stuff for years which means you have to act fast or its gone!

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.42.36 AM.png

IMG_2151.jpg

Colleen at Bell Wine Cellars knows how to beat the heat. Shipped out on Monday, via refrigerated carrier to a hub somewhere in west Texas, where it was unloaded, opened, cold pack inserted, resealed, and overnighted to me. Got here this morning, bottles probably 60 degrees or so, a nice effort for no extra charge.

Two really nice wines, 4 of the 2014 Cab Sav Reserves, RP94, and two of the 2014 Cab Sav Longtable, RP93+. Visited Bell several years ago, super folks, love their wine.....

IMG_0839.jpg

Back