WineXpert Selection Int'l Chilean Malbec / oak spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I just started today. I opted not to add the 2x30g oak powder that came with the kit. I'd like to use some spirals I have. Should I use American Oak heavy or medium? When do I put them in? Are 2 sticks sufficient for a standard 6 gallon kit?

Thanks!

I just started today. I opted not to add the 2x30g oak powder that came with the kit. I'd like to use some spirals I have. Should I use American Oak heavy or medium? When do I put them in? Are 2 sticks sufficient for a standard 6 gallon kit?

Thanks!

Were I you, I'd use the powder in primary and save the spirals for oaking after your wine is clear. The powder in primary does little to impart oak flavor, but helps with color retention and building tannin structure.

I'll do that, but how? Since I already sprinkled the yeast on top, do I sprinkle the oak powder on top and leave it, or do I stir it all in?

I'll do that, but how? Since I already sprinkled the yeast on top, do I sprinkle the oak powder on top and leave it, or do I stir it all in?

You can just sprinkle it on. When fermentation starts and you are stirring, it'll mix right in, no worries. You can mix it in now with the yeast now if you like as well.

Latest posts

Back