Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > General Chit-Chat > What was the worst wine you ever made?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #31
Rodnboro

Jan 2011
Liked 256 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Or, you could say "Brian, I am not going to point out how annoying your use of apophasis is. I won't even bring up your constant use of paralipsis and how much it irks me."
New day, new word. Maybe you should start a "Word of the Day" thread.

Robert Louis Stevenson

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #32
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1064 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 161

The only wine ever dumped here because of just plain smelling and tasting nasty was a watermelon wine. Kept that sucker for a couple years hoping it would turn around, but it never did.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #33
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1733 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 1721

I really haven't had a dump-able wine yet, not at least in my opinion. The closest to a "bad" wine I've had, in my wife's opinion, is one of two Pinto Grigio juice buckets I purchases last Spring. Guess I was having issues with my TA testing procedures and added a bit too much Tartaric Acid. I think the one I had already bottled tastes fine, but my wife thinks it is a little too zingy. The other went through some added chemicals (Potassium Bicarbonate) and then cold stabilized for several months. Now it needs racked off of the pound or so of crystals in the bottle of the carboy. TA was 8.7 g/L before K-bicarb/cold stabilizing, but I've seen Hybrid wines much higher than that. Oh well, makes a great cooking wine.

Rodnboro Likes This 
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #34
Ambugaton

Jul 2016
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Now I am still very inexperienced... but I did try a pumpkin wine... the setup was great (pitched the yeast the night Trump won the election, was going to label it "Trumpkin") ... turns out the wine took the joke too far. A bit unconventional, unpredictable, not exactly what you pictured it tasting like...

Other than the welches in a milk jug attempt I made at some point... (complete with the balloon with holes poked in it as an airlock) the pumpkin was the worst.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #35
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 3010 Times on 1317 Posts
Likes Given: 3125

Interesting replies. My my grandpa was an old-world wine maker, so with him in mind my first "wine" was made with Hi-C and bread yeast when I was about 10 years old. It never got drinkable because it was sort of a science experiment so I just let it run until it was ruined. So that was the worst, I guess.

I had one failed batch of wine because I added five times the amount of k meta to the apple must after misreading the label. That was a dead zone!

I made strawberry one year and learned then that how much rain falls on those berries and the timing of when they are picked relative to the last rainfall can make all the difference. It was not unpleasant but very weak. I still have some of it and am planning one day to open them all up, blend with a fruit flavoring to make a berry wine, then clarify and rebottle.

Made some Norton that is just now getting good after 5 years, but that's pretty much normal for that grape, I understand. Very brawny, tannic and harsh in the earlier years. I think I have 3-4 bottles left. I had a friend who loved the stuff, so quite a few went to her.

Contrary to the comments in the thread, I've never had a bad batch of muscadine, nor have I had a bad batch of blueberry. I've medaled in 4 states with those two or a blend of the two. I still make Welch's, since it is so accessible for everyone and is often the hit of any party I bring it to. Just don't say it is Welch's and they lap it up.

People Like This 
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #36
Kraffty

Aug 2012
Liked 809 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 183

I made a Honeysuckle wine in my second year when I was trying to make wine from anything and everything I could buy cheap or grow. It never stopped tasting like lawn mowings and weeds and I dumped it after a couple of years. That was about the time I narrowed my fermenting down to grapes and an occasional blackberry or strawberry batch.
Mike

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #37
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 714 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I still make Welch's, since it is so accessible for everyone and is often the hit of any party I bring it to. Just don't say it is Welch's and they lap it up.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell Johnt. Might ruin his whole day, just at the mention of it. LOL, Arne.

jswordy Likes This 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #38
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 3010 Times on 1317 Posts
Likes Given: 3125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
I still make Welch's, since it is so accessible for everyone and is often the hit of any party I bring it to. Just don't say it is Welch's and they lap it up.

Don't tell Johnt. Might ruin his whole day, just at the mention of it. LOL, Arne.
For the higher-class gatherings, I call it "Elixir of Rare Eastern Grape." Put a fancy label on the bottle. People jostle to try it then.

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #39
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 714 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
For the higher-class gatherings, I call it "Elixir of Rare Eastern Grape." Put a fancy label on the bottle. People jostle to try it then.
I luv it. Chugalug, chugalug. Arne.

jswordy Likes This