Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Cellar & Storage Forum > New Wine Room

Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #271
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1674 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper137 View Post
Wowzers! Great Project!

I saw you posted some dimensions in a post but was wondering if I could get a few more details.

It looks like you utilized the existing studs for reinforcement with the backing board?

Did you assemble all the bottle holders to the vertical with screws? or a nail gun?

Thanks so much in advance John.
Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated.

The room is standard construction, with 2 x studs on 16" centers, closed cell spray foam insulation, and 1/2" MR drywall, taped, floated and painted. From there, all of the woodwork is surface applied over the drywall, but certainly nailed through it and into the studs.

Horizontal 1x2's were attached to the wall behind the racking, the racks attach to those horizontals. Each rack was built individually in a jig that I made to keep them all uniform. Everything was made, and attached with a pneumatic trim nailer, using appropriate length nails for the application.

I'll post some "under construction" photos and a finished product of one area to help illustrate the above.
IMG_0535.jpg   IMG_0536.jpg   IMG_0547.jpg   image.jpg  

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #272
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....
Just an update, this was due in early March, but the #*¥~#* thing isn't in yet. Purportedly delayed due to QC issues at the manufacturer, I don't like the sound of that at all. It's supposed to be in from the manufacturer this week for "inspection" prior to shipping to me. They did give me a $75 coupon as a token of apology for the delay. More later...........

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #273
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 3800 Times on 2129 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

LOL Called it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
Purportedly delayed due to QC issues at the manufacturer, I don't like the sound of that at all............

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #274
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

OK, @ibglowin etal, here's my evaluation of this purchase, from the onset to now.

Ordering and paying was a breeze, made an inquiry about the product and got a call from a salesman, we chatted, he was able to cut some $$ off of the shipping since it was going to my office, commercial delivery.

The product was scheduled for delivery about 40 days ago, they apologized and sent me a $75 gift certificate for my trouble, haven't used it yet.........It shipped this past Monday and arrived here just fine today, loaded it up and took it home at lunch.

Came in 4 boxes (table base, table top, chair, chair) and was packed well, a bit hard to cut through all of the wrapping plastic, but it was done well and there was no damage to the product.

The table base is very heavy cast iron, probably weighs around 60 pounds, really solid, goes up and down easily, locks in place, and was already assembled except for one leg, which I installed with the included bolts and hex wrench in just a few minutes. The top is nicely stained with a pretty decent finish on it, color as expected. The top has a steel structure underneath with a 3/4" threaded nipple which fit right into the threaded female hole in the top of the base spindle, about 10 or so revolutions of the top tightened it up nicely. The table is stable on its feet and the top has no wobble to it at all, even extended all of the way up as it is in the picture. It's a winner.

The chairs aren't quite as heavy as the table, but are sturdy. They came assembled except for the backs, which bolted right on with the included hardware and an open end wrench. They're wooden seats, so I wasn't really expecting the lap of luxury, but they are fairly comfortable.

Start to finish, unboxing, assembling and setting them in the room took about 30 minutes and was quite easy, although the table base is a bit awkward to move around. I'm fairly pleased with the product, it fits nicely in the room, physically and aesthetically, plenty of room to maneuver around and the chairs tuck up under the table pretty nicely.

I'll invite Mrs. JohnD in for a bottle tonite and we'll put it to the test...........
IMG_0830.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #275
Kraffty

Aug 2012
Liked 809 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 183

How do you say "looking better" when it's been looking awesome all along. Great Job,
Mike

People Like This