Raise the SG in a kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
I got a red zinfandel kit for x-mas. I wanted to raise the starting SG high enough so that the final alcohol content is about 18-19%. Whats the best way to achieve this? What sugar should I use?

Scuba

Scuba you will have a hard time getting the kit to go that high with the stock yeast. At a minimum change to EC-1118 and that will change the flavor profile of the wine. Use your hydrometer to see what SG you need for the 18-19%. For best results do not go over about 1.110 to begin with. Add sugar syrup a pound or so at a time, recording the addition of each and add that to the total. You will likely stall out before finishing dry at that high a range and end up with a too sweet zinfandel.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS. It is going to be so hot that the alcohol will overpower everything. It sounds more like a port and I'm not sure zin would make a good one.

I havent looked yet at the paperwork that came with the wine but how much alc% is usually in a Zin?

A good Zin usually tops out around 14%. Anything higher than that, and the Zin is hot tasting, and loses a lot of finesse and fruit.Edited by: Dean

Most wines are 14-15. A port wine would be much higher. Why do you want it so high?

Scuba, you could try something in the Amarone line, they are usually 14-15%. Then there are the Port lines which will get you were you want, 18 - 19% ABV. Or the Liquor kits, which are 20% and not bad.

Or you could experiment with fortification of different wines, just add something stronger to a glass of wine and see if you like it.

Some family members have been bugging me to make a high % wine so I figured why not and came on here to get some advice. So my best bet would be the port huh?

Scuba

Appleman is making an Amarone into a Port, you could try that by adding sugar(Chaptalizing) during fermentation. It wil void the warranty on a great kit though!

Feed the wine invert sugar. To make invert sugar, you make a solution of water and sugar, and simmer it for 10 minutes. This turns sucrose into fructose and glucose, which is easily digestible by the yeast. Do regular feedings as the SG keeps going lower until you get to the ABV you want. You'll also have to feed it energizer and keep the temps above 75F for the duration. Unless this is going to be a heavy and sweet port, your family members will not like the taste, nor the hangover it will create.

A way to feed it fairly regularly is to make some extra invert sugarthe way Dean says. If you make up acouple liter's worth, put in a few cups at ehr beginning raising the SG a bit. You don't want it so high the yeast won't begin. Let it cool before adding the the bucket. Check the SG and record. Keep the extra in a very clean glass or plastic jug- such as a 2 liter soda bottle and cap it tightly. Once the SG drops to about 1.030 or even a bit higher, add a few more cups. Just don't try to go too high or the fermentation will stall out because you are above the yeast tolerance for alcohol.

Like Wade said I chose an Amarone to make a higher alcohol wine or port style wine. It has a higher tolerance for higher Alcohol. The Mosti Renaissance kit even came with the proper EC-1118 yeast for it.

Good luck Scuba.

So how the heck did my peach "mistake" (that I've been asked to recreate) ever ferment out to 23% abv using cote des blancs?

Joan said:
So how the heck did my peach "mistake" (that I've been asked to recreate) ever ferment out to 23% abv using cote des blancs?

We all would like the answer to that one Joan!
smiley5.gif

Pure luck?
smiley36.gif

I'd say pure luck too! Or another yeast infection that has high alcohol tolerance?

I've had EC-1118 go up to 19%
I've had K1V-1116 go up to 21%

and then I've had turbo yeasts go up to around 20%, but each time a yeast goes that high, they create feusals, which cause the bad feelings in hangovers. So now I even stop my turbo yeasts at about 17%, and there is no hangover from the hooch! Er...I mean experimental alcohol fuels.

Thanks apple I will probley go with what you did. I take it you got your kit from George.

Scuba

i made something like that last year for a friends party.i resugared it twice before the yeast tired.it was pretty sweet but that style probably needs to be to have a flavor.we called that one "dom peculiar!"

Latest posts

Back