What do you do when you have no press??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I'm thinking of checking with our local winery. They are only about ten miles away and I understand they have u-pick grapes.
What do you do when you don't have a grape press?
I was thinking of letting my 2 grandsons do the ole foot in the tub method.
If anything it would give them a great memory.

You could take a bucket and drill many holes in the bottom and sides and cut a board that fits inside and press on that. Im pretty sure Luc has a little tutorial on his blog.

Good morning Wade. That was a quick response.
That would be simple enough. I just have to check today to see what they have available and how much.
I tried to go to their website, but everybody wants to have fancy pages with photos and videos.
Dial up just doesn't agree with it!

Sorry, still have not come around to it.
Other things come up all the time.....

How about freezing (if you have a large
enough freezer).
That helps to break the skins and let the juice flow
without a lot of effort.

Luc

I guess it's a moot point right now anyway. Seems the locaL winery hasn't got any more u-pick grapes available.
Still it gives me information for when they do.
Thanks

Might ask the winery if they will press them for you. Since your not in wine country, I doubt you'll find and rentals in your area. I am guessing these are Muscadines? If so, freeze them like Luc said for a couple weeks. Then thaw them and put them in large ziploc bags and take the rolling pin to them. If it is indeed Muscadine's, I wouldn't do the foot smash as they are very acidic and could burn the feet. I guess if you put the feet in plastic bags though it would work great.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to burn the little guys feet!
The winery is out of U-pick so for now it doesn't matter. But never pass up the chance to make a memory that out lasts you!
I've had my oldest out on the back porch making rocket fuel! There will come a day when I'm gone and he's talking to his grandchildren and that will be something they won't believe.

Pressing is usually done after the fermentation so thats not usually an option unless you want to drag your wine down there to do that!

Sorry, still have not come around to it.
Other things come up all the time.....

How about freezing (if you have a large
enough freezer).
That helps to break the skins and let the juice flow
without a lot of effort.

Luc

agreed. this is a good method for getting juice out of softer fruit. the yeast will help the process in the primary.

Latest posts

Back