Can anyone ID this berry/plant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went up further north towards Abiquiu, NM with our guest for the weekend and did some site seeing (more pics later). We stopped at this B&B that has a small vineyard attached to it and I spotted this plant in the garden next to the vineyard and couldn't quite figure out what it is.

It is a currant by chance?

20101011_162104_IMG_0598.jpg

Mike it looks like Black Nightshade. You don't want to make wine from it as it is poisonous - of course elderberries are too....................

Yikes!
smiley3.gif

Glad I didn't eat one! It may be a close cousin called "Garden Huckleberry" that it not poisonous but still related..............

Not quite sure why it was growing in a vegetable garden.

That does look like garden huckleberry. We grow it up here too. The berries are supposed to be edible, but I've tasted them and I'd say they are barely edible! It does make a nice ornamental though.

Garden huckleberries are actually a type of nightshade and the berries when green are poisonous. When ripe they can be boiled and eaten. The grow in gardens because they are weeds, but can be eaten (if you are really that hungry) if cooked. We have them around here also. They grow in just about anything.

Check this link
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/m1229.html

Latest posts

Back