Use an Airlock During Primary Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I got some sulfite that I'll use to sterilize everything. Ive seen a few places that seem to suggest adding some to the must during racking as well. Opinions anyone?

Hey stolen, Not sure what stage of the game you are in right now but the times I add it are pre fermentation, once it is finished and starting to age and then every 3 months after..

Don't add any sulfite unless you are sure that fermentation is done. Take S.G. reading for 3 days. If it's the same each day its done. Have you kept primary and secondary in proper temps? Colder temps will slow fermentation down to the point that airlock will have very little action and fool people into thinking it's done. Only way to know is by S.G. readings. If you do not have hydrometer go out and get one its a key piece of equipment.
Pete

I know it's been close to six years since the original post, so my apologies for the delay, but I wanted to post a solution for the common fruit fly situation in case someone new views the forum. I recommend going to your local brew / wine store and picking up the largest fermentation nylon bag. Drape it over the top of the bucket and tie down with a nylon string or twine. It allows oxygen to come and go as the yeast craves it, while at the same time preventing fruit flys due to the micro-gaps in the nylon threading. We do this at our commercial facility and it's worked great for years.

Latest posts

Back