Airlock on the primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyeguy

Junior
Reaction score
Question for the experts......should the primary have an airlock on it? I've seen pictures of some with and some without, thus leading to my confusion. Thanks!

i was taught to always use a cover and an airlock to keep buggies out, but i have heard of people usuing a towel or what not....i just stick with what i know

The two kits that I made said leave an airlock off. I know beer needs a lock on the primary. I did put a lock on the carboy though.

I was under the assumption that the yeast needed oxygen. That is why you are suppose to stir it daily or twice daily. Wouldn't an airlock tend to deprive the yeast of oxygen since the space would fill with gas rather quickly if it is a good fermentation.

I always use an air lock, even when they are empty.

Rod

Yeast do need 02 to thrive. That being said if you have ample room in your primary and give it a good stir in the beginning and about every other day or every day a few times if there is fruit in there then you will be giving it plenty of 03. Ive been using an airlock on primary for around 8 years now with no problem at all.

Okay, this is an old argument, but if you are going to remove the lid anyway to stir it than why even bother with an airlock in the primary to begin with?

Just seems like it really serves no purpose then.

troy , my big deal with the lid and air lock is mostly my dogs LOVE wine!!!! also i dont want random flys to get in , or for dust to settle and the most common wold be Lab Fur!!! i swear they shed a puppies worth of fur daily!! the lid an airlock keep it out very well for me.

I'm with you Sid. I use bucket lids in which I have cut holes. The holes are covered with screening. Airlocks only after the wine is in a carboy. Works for me.

Like said before, some of us have different circumstances like young children and rodents or bugs or animals like cats that will get into anything. I have the cats and everyone has bugs. The bugs can be remedied by a cloth with an elastic or something to keep it tight.

Well .. ferment off the floor then :slp
Kidding aside, I lay the lid on top w/ no airlock. Like what Troy said if you need to "punch" down the grapes/fruit why bother.
Just get it off the floor .. LOL ! :dg

LOL tom! my choices are ferment on the floor, or dont ferment at all..........guess wich one wins!?!?! LOL

i make sure to sweep and clean continually around the buckets and with the air locks in place its safe :)

I have cats that bug me, does that count? LOL

I got lucky the cats hate the smell of fermenting wine so I haven't had that problem, kids would scare me though, not them falling in, but knocking it over. YIKESW, that would be bad!!

Last edited:
oh man that wud be sad!! thank goodness mine dont mess with the buckets or carboys. the 8 year old knows mommy will bust that but!!!

I put a cheese cloth that has been folded over several times over the primary and then sit the lid loosely on top of the bucket. This works okay for me. I've never found bugs in my wine and my cats leave the wine room alone in general unless I'm in there.

Buckets with lids on loosely, no air lock and all on a pallet so they are off the floor. Titan's not interested in what's in the bucket. He prefers the couch upstairs in front of the 40 inch TV.

Titan is my step daughters dog and he visits regularly and yes he watches TV. Mostly hockey and he looks away during the commercials. He's smarter than some people I know.

Part choc. lab part pitbull.

Back to wine, never had a problem.

I throw a towel over the primary and set the lid on top loosely.

Not only are you introducing the outside as Troy said, but the yeast are using dissolved oxygen in the must. When you stir you are mixing oxygen into the must. There is CO2 on the surface during fermentation and that is preventing oxygenation and also protecting the wine.

Okay lets take this one step further.

Cover with a cloth etc. Fine, but putting a lid on it seems to me to inhibit any oxegen entering to help the yeast "grow", and just cancels out the whole idea of the cheese cloth, save the cloth and do the lid anyway.

Guess I am really wondering is just how much oxegen is required to ensure a successful ferment?

So if we have no cats, no kids and no nosy friend or inlaws, WHY, even bother with the lid? Just leave the cloth on it.

Many people have had great successes with leaving a lid on the primary with an airlock. Many have never used an airlock at all during the primary.

I have to wonder, and we'll leave this one to LUC. if anyone has ever done a controlled experiment trying it both ways.

Are there differences in TEMP, so2, etc.

If the end result was to be the same, then I wonder why this would be a question at all.

Still curious. For me, cheesecloth.

Anyone?

Troy

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. i am not suggesting one way over the other, just wondering if there is no difference in the final outcome, than why do some say an airlock and some say no.

What do commercial wineries do? Do they leave it under an airlock situation, or allow it to have as much oxegen as it wants.

Not being argumenative here, but very curious.

Troy

Latest posts

Back