Blackberry Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
Be still my heart. I found some blackberry concentrate here in Costa Rica today. It says mix 3 to one and has sugar added but no sorbates. This sure beats smashing up all those blackberries (Mora in Spanish.) I can't find any recipes using the concentrate. Anyone have a 5 gallon recipe?

Basically I would dilute this concentrate down to the sg that Blackberry would usually be and then add sugar. I would say the sg would be around 1.045 or thyere abouts and then adjust up with sugar. After adjusting up youll most likely need to add some acid back.

Wade, are you saying to use 5 gallons of the concentrate with no water in the primary?

Be still my heart. I found some blackberry concentrate here in Costa Rica today. It says mix 3 to one and has sugar added but no sorbates. This sure beats smashing up all those blackberries (Mora in Spanish.) I can't find any recipes using the concentrate. Anyone have a 5 gallon recipe?

I'm still experimenting with berries, VH base and juice. This isn't my experience, it's my thinking ....

Recipes typically call for 4# of blackberries/gallon of must. My experience has been that juicing (steam) produces just under a pint of juice per pound of berries.

I would use 4 pints of reconstituted juice per gallon, 20 pints in your case. I would also add 4 or 5# of berries for good measure - if you can get them. This is 50/50, juice and water.

VH blackberry base is 3 qts of juice with maybe a pound of berries. Most that have used this for 3 gallons have said it was 'OK'. This is 25/75, juice and water.

The above should give you even more body/flavor than the VH base.

Thanks for the comments. Reading Wade's reply in the morning makes more since than last night. This is a concentrate. Since i won't have a fruit bag in there I can make a 6 gallon batch. I think what I need to know is whether I should buy 1 or 2 gallons of the concentrate.

seems to me like you would need 1.5 gallon concentrate & 4.5 gal water for 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back