What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you buy it or mix it up yourself??

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Do you buy it or mix it up yourself??

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Not sure if you are asking me or Mike, but I mix it myself. I have bought it before, but it gets rather pricey for the amount I go through. I like your recipe, I'll have to compare it to the one I'm using right now. I have at least three of his books and they have three different recipes for Essence, also known a "Bayou Blast".

Edit: yields 2/3 cup - yea, that's my current version of that household staple.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure when the rains were coming (looks like later tonight and tomorrow) so planned on a chicken finger and fish fry for dinner. Turns out my youngest daughter had a game (she's a cheerleader), so they had to vamoose by 4:15 pm, so started the fingers first so they could make some chicken finger sandwiches for the road trip. Then I paused and finished up the rest of the fingers and delved into the cod and talapia fillets for the boys. All done in canola oil (I prefer peanut but my daughter breaks out in hives), drained and kept covered in a 170*F oven until dinner time.

Gluten Free of course.

9-17-16_fried-dinner.jpg

Didn't plan my Sunday very well. Rubbed the ribs an hour ago, now threw them on the grill with a mesquite smoking pack. Will soon have to wrap up in foil and do slowly in the oven to finish. Rain on the way so I couldn't get out the bullet, use it, and not get it soaked while hot, which isn't real great for the smoker. Guess we'll have to settle for some sub-par ribs tonight. If I drink enough maybe I won't notice it.

Got some smoke into it, now time to get them there bones showing up on the ends. Added some apple juice, cider vinegar and hot pepper flakes and foiled the ribs to steam/braise them on a 225*F grill, indirectly.

9-18-16_ribs-1.jpg

9-18-16_ribs-2.jpg

9-18-16_ribs-3.jpg

Last edited:
SWMBO has me on this stupid diet. It seems to be working, but it was hard to stay on it with all of the crush day cooking I have been doing.

I normally do all of the cooking, but lately the wife has been making my dinners (in order to keep me on the straight and narrow).

Last night it was boneless, lean, and very thin boneless pork chops, brown rice and steamed broccoli.. The wife discovered the Gorge Forman grill. I have to admit, it was tasty....

IMG_20160925_174209_575.jpg

Tell the wife to throw in some crushed garlic with the broccoli... I'm not a broccoli guy by any stretch, but when my wife does it, its gone within seconds.

Freezer and fridge diving tonight. Found some frozen B-S chicken breasts in the freezer. In the fridge were some zucchini and cherry tomatoes. In the pantry was some red/wild rice. Breaded up the chicken with some panko, S&P and herbs. Seared on the stove, then finished in the oven. Sauteed some onion and shallot, then added the zuke, and finished with the tomato. Worked out pretty well for a spontaneous mid-week dinner.

IMG_4349.jpg

My wife suggested comfort food since the weather has been rather wet and cool the last few days, so comfort food it is. When I think comfort, I think meatloaf. Equal parts of ground chicken, turkey and pig. GF bread crumbs with parmesean an some extra salt and pepper and onions. After ten minutes cooking coated with a Heinz ketchup/cumin/honey/Worchestershire sauce mixture (all GF). Cooked low and slow for 30 minutes (because I started a bit early) and finished high and fast (400*F). Internal temp was almost 170*F, so hoping I didn't just make meatloaf sawdust (hoping the pork wasn't too lean). Served with garlicy mashed taters and mixed veges (rots/cauliflower and broccoli). House smells pretty darn good.

10-1-16_meatloaf.jpg

10-1-16_meatloaf-2.jpg

Last edited:
Slow cooked pork ribs and a bottle of Rauch Ranch Winery Rock Wall Red, a very nice Sangiovese Sirah blend. I definitely recommend this wine!

Tonight's dinner was actually cooked (for the most part) on Sunday. At the end of my rib smoke I threw on a flatiron steak I had in the freezer. Cooked it to medium rare and then pulled it. Had a few bites on Sunday for QA/QC but saved the rest for this week.......

Wow, sliced some up and threw it in a cast iron skillet and added some Chimichuri sauce on the side as well as a nice salad.

This went well with a bottle of my 2012 El Peso Pesado Cab Sauv blend. I think I might be ready for the weekend! :hug

IMG_1718.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back