New Vines producing for first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_S

Reaction score
Hi,

A small portion of my vineyard vines are producing for first time and will be attempting my first co-inoculation with these. Can you confirm I should be fermenting aerobically until about S.G. of 1.020, just like if it was simply a yeast fermentation, and once reach that point when much less CO2 is being produced, I should then put fermentation lock on tank at this point in the process so the Malolactic Bacteria will not be exposed to too much oxygen? So what I'm assuming is the malolactic bacteria would likely not be exposed to too much O2 during vigorous alcoholic fermentation due to a lot of the O2 being driven off by the CO2.

Thanks

Are we talking red or white? I don't open ferment anything. A lid with a one way vent is desirable. An S.G. of 1.020 is fine as a starting point to pitch the MLF. As long as yeast activity is apparent there will be a blanket of CO2 on top the must to act as a barrier to outside world, but a cover is essential. Keep the must warm!

It's a red. Yea that's what I figured given the CO2 blanket. That's what I prefer too I'm using a dust cover.

Cheers,

Rob

send it all to me it'll be done right and AS A EXTRA i will personally dunk evert bottle my self, um read this post and send all your wines I'd advise you drink drink 5 bottles as quick as possible,then send on your last fifth,
you very trusted friend
DAWG::

ss
It's a red. Yea that's what I figured given the CO2 blanket. That's what I prefer too I'm using a dust cover.

Cheers,

Rob

Latest posts

Back