Easy Fruit Wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pebbles

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am just starting making wine. I've done one whole kit, almost. I'll be bottling it this week. I am going to do one more easy kit just to be sure I have the basic process down. What I really want to do is try out a fruit wine. Are their any fruit wines that are a little easier than others? Any recommendations for an easier starter fruit type of wine for the newbie? I've been looking all over the internet and I've been thinking about doing a pear wine, maybe a pear strawberry. Anyone have any experience with pear wines? Are they fairly temperamental? Any and all suggestions/recommendations/tips/tricks would be very much appreciated.

The first question is, what fruit do you have access to?

Weird mix: mainly pears, chillis, grapes. But I bet I can get just about anything, for the right price!

1st you will need more equipment. Fruit wines will need agiing of 6 months. So you will tie up a carboy fro that time. I make pear and has a light taste compared to other fruits I likke that. Mixing with strawberry should be tasty.

I'm in the process of making 10 gallons from apple cider separated into two batches. Its been a breeze compared to using whole fruit and shouldn't be hard to come by right now.

With wines, is it okay to use plastic carboys? We have tons of these for beer making, but fewer glasses due to weight issues...they are heavy & I'm a whimp! My concern for using plastic with wine is oxidation though.

With wines, is it okay to use plastic carboys? We have tons of these for beer making, but fewer glasses due to weight issues...they are heavy & I'm a whimp! My concern for using plastic with wine is oxidation though.

Check and make sure that your plastic carboys are a grade 1 or 2 to be sure that they are ok to use for wine

Pear Wine

The first wine I made (about 2 months ago) was pear. It must be pretty easy to make. I had two 5 gallon buckets of pears, did not wash them, busted them up in a bucket with a sledge hammer (cores, stems and anything else that was in the bucket) poured in 5 gallons of well water and 5 pounds of sugar. It worked for 6 days, poured it into a carboy ( I did have a home-made air lock), 4 weeks later I bottled it and started drinking it. The alcohol content was probably about 6 or 8 %, a good morning "waker upper". It was pretty good and suprisingly clear also, didn't last long. I think pear must be the easiest and most forgiving wine there is.

Semper Fi

I think strawberry is the easiest, but that's me. Pear/strawberry would be a nice one to try.

yeah Berries of most any type are probly the easiest to do

grapes are really easy if you can't get nothing but store bought table grapes even those make a pretty good dry wine

Strawberry is the best choice in my opinion.

It makes a wonderfull blush wine, full of flavor.

Strawberry also is great as a dry or as a sweet wine.
So you almost can not go wrong with strawberries.

Luc

Latest posts

Back