Am i correct on my ABV :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack7

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all I am a newbie to wine brewing and I am on my second batch of white wine made from white grape juice I am making a gallon and at the start added 900 grams of sugar and using my hydrometer the initial SG was 1.120 and now it's been nearly 2 weeks and it's stopped fermenting so today I checked the SG and it's at 1.010 so using an app iv calculated that the wine is at about 14.4% ABV so I am just wondering if someone could confirm that the calculation is correct.

Thanks jack :)

Looks like your calculated ABV is close enough for government work. I used (1.120-1.010)*131 and got 14.41% ABV. So at this point the "correctness" of your calculated ABV is limited by the accuracy of your hydrometer readings.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of these ABV equations give slightly different answers... So it is hard to say who is "right" without using something like an ebuilometer. But yes, for all intents and purposes you calculated it correctly.

The ABV caluculator app on my phone says 14.599% ::

Thanks a lot everyone for the info and yes it does taste fairly sweet which is what I was hoping for that's why I added abit extra sugar so all in all this is my first successful batch and I am really happy with it all I have to do now is add stabiliser and then after a few days finnings and bottle it so thanks again you guys your very helpful

ack!NO! dont do it!

You must wait for it to finish fermenting first, then let it clear out before you stabalize it else it will not be effective! Only, after that may you add sugar back to it.

Thanks Seth I diddnt add it and I left it and it's stopped fermenting now so I'll leave it to clear as you said thanks again

Did you take readings a few days in a row to see if it had stopped? Or just not seeing any action in the airlock?

seth..was thinking of you today.
My uncle was a wild turkey collector, (whiskey) he left a bottle to me when he died with instruction to open when he would have been 100 which is today.
I opened...and it is very good.....it was bottled in 1953.

Wow, very nice. Care to share picture of the bottle? The Turkey of today is not on my top of my bourbon list. .But I am fascinated by this bottle you speak of.

Just no action in the airlock for days and ahah it was a close one Seth :) thanks for the quick info

I once read a scientific article on determining ABV. It said that the most accurate way of determining this is the gas chromatography (sp?) method. From that article using their beginning and ending S.G. and dividing by 7.36 got you to the closest results as G.C.

Back