New to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am new to wine making. In fact, I have not even finished my first gallon. I have a book but it seems to be leaving many things out. First,I will tellyou a little about what I have done so far.The first thingI didis bought a kit on the Internet that said it had everythingI needed to make wine.This kit includedTwo one galloncarboys, one primary fermentation bucket, a plug, an air lock, a siphoning tube, a mesh bag,Campden Tablets,Yeast Nutrient, Pectic Enxyme, Acid Blend, Sodium Matabisulfite, Grape Tannin,all purpose yeast anda instruction book. After Reading the book, I realizedIhad to have aHydrometer. I decided to startwith fruit winesbecausethe booksays they are easierand cheaper. Istarted withraspberry.Well, therecipes inthe book didnn't say to put waterin the recipe (well it does just in very small print at the bottom of the page) about two days afterIadded the yeast, I found my mistake and added the water. To make along story short it went bad.
smiley11.gif
smiley7.gif
NowI have started an Apple wine and it seems to be coming along nicely.I am getting ready to start another andIhave a fewquestions.

1) I see people here boiling the water and adding sugar. Notjust adding sugar to cold water, is this what Ishould do?

2)ShouldI get an Acid test kit?

3)How long shouldI wait before bottling my apple wine (the Fermentation has stopped it’s been like three months).

Thanks for all the help you can give
smiley1.gif

Welcome and I would suggest you take some time and read through these articles as they should answer some questions you have and make the whole process clearer:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wine-Kit-Articles.htm

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Tutorial.htm

If you add sugar to cold water you run the risk of not getting it to dissolve properly.

Having a acid test kit will help you target a starting point for making fruit wines. It is not needed when making wine from kits as any adjusting is done for you.

When to bottle your wine is determined by when the wine is completely fermented, stabilized and clear.

First off, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of winemaking.

Don't worry about your first wine-mishap. You've got apple on the way!

I agree with what masta says, but I also suggest you go to www.mywinerecipes.com to get some more ideas. If you search for "apple" in the ingredients list, I am sure there are some recipes that pop up.
smiley2.gif

I would at least use luke-warm water. Like masta said, it dissolves easier, but there's nothing wrong with cold water either. Boiling gets out other impurities that water may have, and serves that purpose as well.

2)ShouldI get an Acid test kit?

<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p>Honestly? I wouldn't at this stage of the game. You can, but you could also build a 500 horse-power engine in a 16 year old's car.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
I say wait with the acid test kit if you will be following recipes to the tee. Usually everything is pretty balanced in recipes, and you don't have to worry much about it until you start tweaking them yourself.</O:p>

3)How long shouldI wait before bottling my apple wine (the Fermentation has stopped it’s been like three months).

Well, that's where the hydrometer is handy. Once the hydrometer hits 0.990 and stays there for a week or two, you can say pretty much it's finished. You need to degas (Shake the wine, but be careful when you do this) - i.e. get the CO2 the yeast pooped out. The rate of fermentation is dependent on temperature. 3 month in 60*F temps compared to 3 months in 75*F temps are quite different and the former might not be finished, but the latter may be. My suggestion is: get a hydrometer. If it's at 0.990 now, shake the gallon jug. If there is "pearling" or tiny bubbles going up the side of the jug, you've got CO2. Bring your wine into a warmer (75ish) area, and let it sit overnight. Shake it again and again until you're satisfied the bubbles aren't there anymore.

Then I'd say, it's time to bottle.
smiley32.gif
Sounds like a great wine, we love pictures on this forum, and practically can taste it all as well.

Welcome again!

Martina

Welcome Mjohn! Hope you have a successful batch of apple wine going there. Too bad about the 1st batch.
smiley19.gif
Have you been racking the apple wine? How much sediment do you have in your carboy? Looking forward to hearing more!

Welcome Mjohn,

Sounds like you are on your way. The two pieces of advice I'll give are: clean and sanitize everything that touches your wine, and don't rush it (most wine will clear completely given enough time, and most wine will improve with time).

This message board is filled with valuable information. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Again, welcome,

Pat

Just have fun with it. Drink early. Drink it late. Drink it when it's at it's peak. Give it away, Keep it for you're self if it is good. Just Do It &amp; get her Done. Edited by: Angell Wine

I include a hydrometer in EVERY wine starter kit I sell. How can you make a sound wine without one?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have been doing a lot of reading and plan to try my hand at the raspberry again this weekend.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I do have a hydrometerand have tested the apple every time I have racked it. It reads a .990 and has the last two times I have racked. As for sediment there is very very little.Infact, you can'tsee it unless you look veryvery close.I am tryingto get picfor you all to see. (Some day I will get up with the times) Thanks foreveryone's help
smiley17.gif

Looking forward to new hobby

Michael

Welcome Micheal....
As for Raspberry Wine...it is one of our favorites....one thing I have learned is to NOT put the seeds in the fermenting bucket, they are said to be bitter.Freeze your berries, sprinkle with a small amount of sugar and place them in a straining bag, pour hot water over the bag and squeeze till the seeds are dry....then dicard the pulp.Or extract your juice as best you can.
I have posted a few recipes for Raspberry Wine on the FineVineWines recipe WebSite

We especially like the recipe with the apple juice added to the raspberry juice....There are many other recipes that others from this great Forum have submitted.....going to be a busy summer with all that inspiration.
Good luck in your ventures
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Those kits are pretty good for newbies. Try a real wine you like and follow the instructions. PS Dont rush if its 6 weeks instead of 4 who cares. its whats in the bottle that counts.

I've stated a new wine. I changed my mind and started a coffee wine, but it doesn’t seem to be starting very well. It has been three days and the SG is still 1.090. That’s where I started. The temp is about 72 as far as I can tell it should be making its magic. But is doesn’t seem to be
smiley19.gif
any ideas thanks Michael<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

P.S I took a couple of pics the first iscoffee the and the second is the apple. Sorry they are not very good; I took them with my phone.

2006-02-24_084224_Image026.jpg
2006-02-24_084048_Image025.jpg

Hehe! The coffee wine looks like there's steam on top!
smiley36.gif
Those are pretty good pictures for having used a phone. I'm so confused these days! Pictures from phones. Wait! They told us back in the 60s that some day we'd all have picture phones! They were right!
smiley5.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

Michael - It would be very helpful to know what your recipe is and what
you did step by step at the beginning.

This is the recipe I used all I have done is what is said.

<TABLE =table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:
<TABLE =table cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>5 Tbs Instant Coffee</TD>
<TD>7 pints Water</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>3 Lb. Honey (or Sugar)</TD>
<TD>3 tsp. Acid Blend</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1 Campden Tablet, crushed</TD>
<TD>3/4 tsp. Yeast Energizer</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1 pkg. Sherry Yeast</TD>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Directions:

1. <LI>Pour instant Coffee and honey (or sugar) into primary fermenter.
    <LI>Pour water (hot) into primary fermenter and stir thouroughly.
    <LI>Add remaining ingredients, except yeast. Stir well.
    <LI>Cover primary fermenter.
    <LI>Wait 24 hours, then add yeast and re-cover primary fermenter.
    <LI>Stir daily and check S.G..
    <LI>When S.G. reaches 1.040 (usually 3-5 days), strain juice from bag. Then syphon juice into glass container and attach airlock.
    <LI>When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
    <LI>To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
    <LI>Allow the wine to age. </LI>

the only other thing I have done is keep it a 72. oh, i used honey. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=20 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=bottom bgColor=#0033cc>
<DIV align=center>Web site design by Fine Vine Wines, LLC. Copyright 2003-2005</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Well it's been a whole week and still no change.<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
smiley7.gif
</v:shape>Should I cut my losses and move on? I only have $6 in it so it's not a big deal. Still, I would like to save it if I can. Michael
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</v:image></v:shape>

Michael - hate to see your question go unanswered, so I'll take a stab at
it.

I don't know just what your Sherry yeast was, but apparently it never took
off. This is the classic time to repitch a new yeast using a yeast starter.
You may want to try a different type, one known for vigorous
fermentation and that can handle the honey. Two you can use are Lalvin's
EC-1118 and Red Star's Premier Cuvee. Perhaps another problem is that
there is very little by way of nutrient material in the must and some yeast
nutrient needs to be added. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient (not
energizer) and give the must a vigorous stir to whip some oxygen in.

Rehydrate the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a bigger bowl, let it sit for
30 minutes and then add 1/2 cup of your must to the starter. Keep it
warm, wait for 3-4 hours, check for fermentation activity and if active,
add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the must. Let it sit again for the same time
and if activity is strong, gently pour it over the top of your main batch of
must. Splash it off a spoon so the starter stays on top.

Hopefully this will get things going. Please let us know what happens.

What a great sight, like a sunset while drinking wine.
Thankyou for the help bilbo. It worked great as you can see.

2006-02-28_071655_Image027.jpg
Edited by: mjohn

That's great news Michael!
smiley32.gif

Now, if only it will continue cooperating and ferment to dryness in good
time. Keep it above 70 degrees. If it looks like it is pooping out, gently stir in
a little more yeast nutrient. The coffee powder probably doesn't offer much
by itself. Please keep us posted.

Way to go Bill....nice work!!!!
smiley32.gif

Keep us updated on this one Michael...sounds interesting!

Latest posts

Back