’04 Scuppernong progression

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Hippie, WOW just beautiful, had to get my sun glasses on. Congrats.

Bill

Thanks for the nice responses, everyone. I am really proud of this one.

Awesome looking wine as always Hippie...thanks for sharing your experience and wine making skills with everyone.

Your dedication to this forum should be commended and I would personally like to say thanks for all your efforts in keeping this going.

smiley32.gif

Thanks, Scott, you contribute alot of appreciated content also. Thanks!

smiley32.gif

Hippie,

I think that I have never seen

Awine with such a beautiful sheen

If it looks anything like it will taste

There won't be a drop that should go to waste!

Gotta tell you I'm very impressed... mwm

Hey Hippie

Man that wine looks goooooood, You did a beautiful job on this one, has it been filtered or cleared up naturaly by racking?

Harry in Alvin Tx.

It has been coarse filtered once after clearing naturally from racking and bulk aging. I will polish filter it before bottling. Thanks.

I just cannot get a clear grip on filtering. Obviously Hippie you do not think it degrades your wine's flavor but I have read so much pro and con there just seems to be no clear cut answer.

I don't know of any cons to proper filtering. I can think of several pros. What are some of the cons you have read? There are alot of myths floating around. Remember I said "proper filtering". A taste or odor molecule is too small to be filtered out using anything that is available to us, or anything else I have read of. Unimaginable. So, forget all that stuff you have read elsewhere on the WWW about filtering out taste, it is nonsense. Some color of red wines can be filtered out using the #3 sterile filters, but that would not be proper filtering. The #3 sterile filters are not meant for filtering red wines. Filtering will 'shock' the wine, much the same as bottling does. Any aggressive action on the wine 'shocks' it. The flavor and bouquet will return with time. There is no real need to ever filter a wine, as far as homewinemaking goes. You rack off sediment while bulk aging and then bottle when stable and clear. A dusting of sediment in aged wine bottles is not a fault, and is very common is most red commercial wines.Noone shouldever think they must filter their wines.

Questions, comments, and arguments very much welcome!

smiley2.gif

Obviously filtering has produced a beatuiful wine for you in this case. I want to sample it just so I can feel the beauty of it in my mouth!
smiley32.gif
But like you said, there's no reason in the world that people "have" to filter to get a fabulous wine. I've had several really good commercial reds with a touch of sediment at the end of the bottle and I can't see that it's removal would have made the wine any better. We've never filtered and no one has refused our wines yet!
smiley2.gif
But filtering has made for a work of art here!

Latest posts

Back