just wondering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey, I live up in the instep of the Missouri on the Arkansas side in the foothills of the Ozark mountains, my elderberries look like I might get a record crop, grass looks great in the pasture, but blackberries are looking poorly, wild blackberries,,, peaches aren't making nothing, pears are slim to none, walnuts and pecans very, very few, acorn next to nothing, muscadines fair to Middleton, nothing extra, we've had good rains, is anyone else in the five rivers regions:?:? doing better, got me a little puzzled to say the least, with the rains coming decent and spread out we should be loaded all the way around,
would be interested in others thoughts and how is nature doing by you,
thank you
Dawg

Late freezes after that early warm spell. Over in NW Arkansas we lost plums and several other crops that bloomed too early and got caught by the freeze. Bumper crop of Black Raspberries for us though.

I have what looks to be a bumper crop of elderberries, today before I got to hot I picked 2 lbs of wild black berries growing around an old tractor, I have hundreds of wild blackberries but 95% have small beads no juice to speak of and very tart, as well as being small berries period. the other 5% are big wild blackberries tons of juice, but some are watery the rest oh my god so good, I eat them all but the few big ones that are sweet I make some killer wine, 80% sweet blackberries and 20% vert tart black berries I have started trans planting some of the large sweet ones into my back yard since my yard is an acre and a half, the front half is under 4 foot chain link which I save for bulging flowers and crabapple, the back acre is fruit trees and now briars from wild black berries I plan when they get thick to mow paths thru then to access the berries, since I'm older and not in good health, in the old days I put on 2 pairs on levis and 3 long sleeve shirts and wade right in, but with one leg an with half foot on the other side, gotta make it easy on me, gawd I love my wines, just a spoiled old baby I guess, but yep I guess blackberry winter did it's number this year

Latest posts

Back