Loquat Wine Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Previously I posted about my daughter having plenty of loquats on her trees in California Well...

I just started the first batch of Loquat wine. Using a light amount of Loquat 4 lbs of de-seeded and de-stemmed loquats that have been frozen. (1 Gallon Batch)
Thawed the fruit then Mashed fruit well with potato masher and put in fine mesh bag
Filtered water added to about 2/3 gallon
Added 1 tsp pectic enzyme and campden tab. Let that set over night.

4 cups sugar for 2 cups water. (Standard Simple Syrup)
Filtered Water to bring to 1.4 gallons (allowing for loss of fruit pulp)
Checked SG 1.100 (Right where I wanted to be)
Checked pH 4.96 WHOA! Never had any of my batches that high at first blush
Added 1/2 tsp Acid Blend (That's all I had) AND 1 3/4 tsp Tartaric Acid AND 2 1/4 tsp Citric acid
pH then read out at 3.51
Added Yeast Nutrient 1/2 tsp
Added 3oz white grape concentrate
Let sit over night again

Checked this morning and adjusted pH with 1/2 citric acid to starting of 3.49
SG was steady today at 1.100
Added 1 more tsp of Pectic Enzyme
Started Yeast starter with KV-1116 1 oz of must, 1.5 oz warm water Yeast Energizer
One hour later starter was already bubbling nicely so I pitched the yeast.

Any other additions suggested at this time?
Not sure about tannin for this one
May add bentonite when I get to Secondary fermentation - Personal choice not to use bentonite during primary especially since I have the fruit in bag

Will probably move to basement where it's a little cooler and steadier temp. Right now basement is running about 68-70 degrees.

Last edited:
1. Keep it cool. I'd aim for around 60F, even if it takes a couple of weeks.
2. I would definitely add bentonite to the primary on day 3.
3. I would use a little tannin as well.

Keller step feeds the sugar in this one, which is unusual for him. I've never found an explanation. Will be interested to hear if yours takes off from 1.100

1. Keep it cool. I'd aim for around 60F, even if it takes a couple of weeks.
2. I would definitely add bentonite to the primary on day 3.
3. I would use a little tannin as well.

Keller step feeds the sugar in this one, which is unusual for him. I've never found an explanation. Will be interested to hear if yours takes off from 1.100

I will keep it in the basement but that's only about 66-70F But I'm going to keep it upstairs which is currently mid 70s until it fires up then downstairs.
Tannin was something I've debated probably will go ahead and toss that in this evening. It's only been about 8 hours since I started it but I'll give it check here shortly. I don't want bentonite all over my fruit bags so I'll wait until that gets pulled out.

Appreciate the comments and tips.
UPDATED - 10PM 12 hrs after pitching yeast - We have a foam cap and the fruit bag was ready to be punched down. Added 1/2 tsp Tannin and moved bucket to basement (Currently 68F in basement) But now my Black Currant batch has slowed down. I was at 1.040 yesterday about 5 pm. This morning it was at 1.035 at 10 AM now at 10 PM it at 1.030 hope it's not going to stall out on me. (3 gallon batch that started at sg 1.100)

Last edited:
As Of 1:00 this afternoon (June 4) the wine was ready for racking to secondary at an SG of 1.000.

Now have 4 Liter carboy plus a 20 oz "overflow" glass container under airlocks. The overflow bottle is tall and slender and contains the last of fermentation bucket without the really course lees. but it still will have a large amount of lees, but hopefully will be enough to top off the 4 liter carboy at the next racking.

Latest posts

Back