Apple Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teraann

Junior
Reaction score
I have 90 lbs of apples from my Dad's tree. I am hoping to find a few different varieties of recipes. I see one recipe posted for straight Apple Wine and a couple for Apple Cider; maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
I am looking for something fairly easy, I am still fairly new at homemade wine making. I do not have a press. I froze my rhubard to make those recipes so I plan to do the same for the apple wine. Any recipe's anyone can share? Or can you direct me to the best place to look?

With out a press and shredder, how are you going to juice your apples?

Sorry but my personal opinion if I was in your shoes I would be making apple sauce and pie and buy fresh apple cider to make the wine.

I am going to freeze the apples first and then thaw and extract the juice.

You will need to crush the apples somehow to extract the juice from them. The cheapest way if you cant or dont want to find a cheap maybe used apple press is to buy cheap garbage disposal unit and mount it on say a pce of plywood and run it with a bucket underneath and use a pce of wood to push the apples down into it. You do need to crush the apples pretty good to get juice out of them unlike a lot of other fruits.

Wade are you serious??? I often joked about doing something like that. It's a cool idea. My only concern is what about grinding up the seeds? wouldn't he have to quarter each apple or core them?

Am I the only one who DOESN'T press apples? Been making Apple Wine for 4 years & have never pressed! Just de-core & dice into 8-12 pcs, sometimes slice in the slicer, put in a fermenting bag & GO. Squeeze the bag 2X a day, after 5ish days not much left in the bag. Lots of lees when you transfer, 3- 5 gal. primaries [ aprox4.25 gals. ea.] yields 10 gals. of wine in carboys. Drink some at 1 yr. age some on oak & wait 18 mo. or longer if I can. Everyone loves it! Roy FightingTown Creek Wines In the heart of Ga. Apple Country

Am I the only one who DOESN'T press apples? Been making Apple Wine for 4 years & have never pressed! Just de-core & dice into 8-12 pcs, sometimes slice in the slicer, put in a fermenting bag & GO. Squeeze the bag 2X a day, after 5ish days not much left in the bag. Lots of lees when you transfer, 3- 5 gal. primaries [ aprox4.25 gals. ea.] yields 10 gals. of wine in carboys. Drink some at 1 yr. age some on oak & wait 18 mo. or longer if I can. Everyone loves it! Roy FightingTown Creek Wines In the heart of Ga. Apple Country

Never used a press for my apple wine. I do the same thing except I freeze them 1st

Thanks, I'm not going to spend money on a press then. I will try to fit as much in the freezer as possible. Hopefully at least for one batch, then I can move on to the next batch. Do either of you have a great recipe to share?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back