I scored again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I scored twentyseven 750ml cork style bottles today. I posted on freecycle that I was looking for bottles. When I got to his place of business today he asked me what I was making. I told him the first batch was going to be 6 gallons of Blackberry Cabernet. He said bring him a bottle or two of it when its ready and he will keep the bottles coming. I've gotten a couple more responses from people saying that they will start keeping them for me instead of throwing them away. Who knew it was going to be that easy. The one guy I scored the wine bottles from apparently buys them by the sixpack. They all came in (except 3 bottles) in six pack containes that said "Fine Wines" on them. Most of the bottles were marked $9.99 and some where a little more and there is one champaign bottle. I can use that for wine, right¿

Mike D

I think they have a little smaller inside diameter. If a dime fits right in use #9 corks, if smaller use #8's.

Some observations

Not all label glue is the same. You will work a little harder to get Lindeman labels off

Most of the bottles are green. Some are yellow

Cork style bottles have strong necks.

Bottle cleaning goes better with classic rock

It is useless to soak the little plastic neck wrappers

Men really can get dish pan hands :eek:

Last edited:
I checked the UPS website and my equipment and wine kit are here in Houston. I will be getting aquainted with the stuff tomorrow it looks like. Cant beat that. Well, I guess ifin it got here today you could beat it.

Hey Mike, good for you. There was a pretty good thread going on in here not long back talking about removing stubborn labels. I think it was CP Steve that used peanut butter. The thread is in bottling I think , if you have trouble removing them or advice on cleaning bottles take a look in that forum. if not ask because I am having a hard time copying and pasting links.
As always, good luck, we all share your excitement and enthusiasm, keep us posted.

Troy

mjd:

If you get the paper part of the label off, and there is a lot of residual glue you can use products like WD-40, Goo-Be-Gone, vegetable oil, or peanut butter to help you get rid of that darn glue. I spread the peanut butter on the glue, then let the bottle sit for a while (like overnight). Then I use a small nail brush to remove the pb and usually all of the glue.

Steve

mjd:

If you get the paper part of the label off, and there is a lot of residual glue you can use products like WD-40, Goo-Be-Gone, vegetable oil, or peanut butter to help you get rid of that darn glue. I spread the peanut butter on the glue, then let the bottle sit for a while (like overnight). Then I use a small nail brush to remove the pb and usually all of the glue.

Steve

Peanut butter huh, whoda thunk it. I did think of -WD-40. Thanks

Latest posts

Back