using frozen fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreubs

Junior
Reaction score
I've mad alot of decent wine,but have run into a problem and wonder if anyone couls give me some advice.A friend of mine recently gave me black raspberries,strawberries,peaches and cherries that have been frozen up to three years. After thawing the fruit,examining it and tasting it ,it all seemed fine,however,after starting the must,the yeast dosen't seem to want to work.I freeze all of my fresh fruit for at least a week before starting a batch,I've read and been told this breaks down the fruit,and is a good thing to do.Has anyone ever had this problem with fruit that has been frozen up to three years?? Any advice?? Thanks alot......cheers..mike......

The 2 biggest things I can think of right off. #1 make sure the must temp is 68-75* for easy starting. I don't get moveing any to quick on a cold morning either. #2 take about 3 cups of must. Warm it to 90* but not over. (don't want to shock the yeast.) Add 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and a pack of yeast. This has never failed to start for me, and in most cases has signs of working within an hour. For fruit I like Red Stars Cote Des Blonc yeast.

Mike, having a recipe to look at would help. Did you add any pectic enzyme prior to the yeast? Yes what about yeast nutrient? If you added any water did it contain chlorine which would hinder the yeast until it disapated out?

How about rehydrating the yeast or making a starter? How did you add it?

You do need to keep it (must) warm and in a few days with the aide of a hydrometer if it isn't going add another yeast packet.

Fruit frozen 3 years should be fine.

AS above is needed. Did you by chance add meta befroe adding yeast?
How long has it been.

thanks folks..........I think the problem I encountered was the temp. It's goin gangbusters now, thanks again....

Good luck with it. You will have to let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back