Apricot Champagne??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I just chilled a bottle of my apricot rose that I bottled a month ago. I started it last summer. I had a really hard time getting the cork out so Curtis had to help....and with difficulty and a loud "pop" he got it open.

When I poured it into my glass it fizzed up like champagne with lots of bubbles coming up. It tastes just like a nice champagne, very nice slightly sweet apricot taste. I don't know what I did wrong... for something to taste so right!!! Did it ferment in the bottle? I better open the others and drink them before they start exploding.....lol

Ramona

MAYBE I FORGOT TO STABILIZE IT...GOTTA CHECK THE NOTES
smiley9.gif

Edited by: rgecaprock

Well, I thought I did but, (Holy FVW, I might have forgot!!). We just now opened another bottle and it is not bubbly. What the........?

Ramona

Well, We opened 3 out of 5 bottles and only one was "champagne"

What is that all about? Why wouldn't all of them be sparkling?

Have any of you had this experience?

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Ramona,

Was this a home made wine or a kit? If a home made wine, I think you might be undergoing some MLF which I heard can happen in some peach and apricot wines. Sometimes the fermentation just doesn't seem to want to stop. You might have had a residual amount of MLF bacteria in the one bottle that didn't get killed during your sanitizing regime? Or your sulphite levels were below 50ppm.

If it was a kit, then I have no idea
smiley5.gif

Dean, I made it from fresh apricots. The other bottles that we opened were kind of boring after the bubbly one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to come home from work and see wine dripping from the ceiling one day.

Thanks for the input....Ramona

I had two gallons of apple that did the same thing. Each was in a separate gallon jug with screw caps on them. They had been stabilized and filtered back in Feb. One bubbled like crazy the other one didn't, Look at my records and notice I had not use sorbate after sweeting up a bit. They had some dusting and diamond at the bottom. I figure the one went though a second fermation.

Actually, not too good. I dragged through the day and had a big headache....going to bed early!! I did have help drinking it though.

It was fun at the time!!!Edited by: rgecaprock

Hey I have some apricot that is nice and dry and about 12.5 alc I did get all the co2 out of it. I did notice that It would have made a great champaign. I did make some peach that i did not degas vary well that has a few bubbles in it and it is dry as well 11.5 alc . I have been lucky mine are aging well and I have horaded them. Most ppl think they are sweet but I didnt make these sweet. They are great chilled and by them selves and with Swine meals and quiche.

Hope you enjoy yours and make another batch.

Latest posts

Back