Mulberry + Black Raspberry wine? I'm brand new to this and need help!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwill

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings...

I just stumbled upon this forum while scouring the internet for information on wine making. I'm brand new to this, so any help would be immensely appreciated!

My family has a fairly big yard with several large mulberry trees and a good number of black raspberry plants. Every summer, we have a great many berries in the yard that have served to make some very delicious pies in the past. This summer, I returned home from school and got the great idea of attempting a family/sibling project of making wine from the berries in our yard. At first, I thought about making just mulberry wine, but I read that mulberries don't make very good wine on their own and found that most recipes called for using grape juice or adding raisins to the recipe. I have also heard that raspberries tend to make very sweet wines on their own. So, it occurred to me to try to make a wine combining the mulberries with the raspberries.

As of now, I haven't found any recipes on the internet for this. Does anybody have any ideas or a recipe to share? Here's the catch - we want all the fruit ingredients to come from our yard. I'd rather not have to use grape or apple juice or add store-bought fruit to what we have. We've always been thrilled by finding wild edibles in the yard and part of the fun of this project is challenging ourselves to use only the berries we pick from the yard. Is this even possible? Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I have made several batches of mullberry wine with only mullberries. It was very good. This is the reciepe I used.

8 pints of mullberry juice
11.5 pints of water
2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 1/2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme
3 campden tablets
K1-V116 yeast

It was like a port wine very dark.

Thanks for the help. I guess to get the juice, we just crush the berries and filter out the non-liquid fruit chunks? Do you think including raspberries in the recipe would be a good idea? If so, any suggestions on raspberry to mulberry ratio? Thanks!

Look in the recipe section as I have also made Mullberry wine and have been gathering them this year also but lost a lot to a wind storm this year, so far I only got 9 lbs this year and doesnt look like the rest of them want to ripen, just staying white. I dont juice them, I just freeze them and then thaw them when you have enough which can take time but the freezing does help the wine making procedure by breaking open the cellular walls of the fruit and then the pectic enzyme does the rest. No fruit makes a sweet wine, you make a sweet wine depending on how you ferment it and if you sweeten the wine when its done fermenting and stabilized with k-meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back