WineXpert Adding sugar to increase alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I know everyone says always follow the directions, but I would like to get a little more alcohol in my wine. I am getting ready to start a Green Apple Riesling and would like to increase the alcohol level to 12-13% is this ok or does everyone recommend against it?

Steve

Groton, Ct

I believe anytime you begin "tweaking" the kit wines Steve you stand a great chance of getting your wine irrepariably off balance. But, it is your bucks and your wine podner. Edited by: Waldo

I agree with Waldo. I don't know, however if the kit wines are balanced for higher alcohol regarding acidity. You might run the risk of getting a very "hot" wine and a wine with more or less only the taste of alcohol.

I have heard of people trying this, but again, you have no warantee on the kit anymore. I don't know if I would do it or not, but since I'm a curious person by nature, and since I cannot follow directions well, I personally would try it, step by step.

What I mean is if the normal abv for this kit wine is, say, 7-8%, try tweaking it up to 10% first. You get a notion of what it would taste like, without ruining it (possibly) completely. I'm not sure about the yeast that is used in this kit wine, but it might have a very low alcohol tolerance.

If it tastes good to you after it is finished, try the next one at 12%...

I know that the kit wine manufactures and others would see this post as bad advice, but if your fingers are a-itchin', I would do it this way.
smiley36.gif

M.

I agree that adding extra sugar voids any warranty that comes with the kit but if you are willing to accept the responsibility here is what I do.

I always tweak this types of kits with more sugar with no ill effects at all. These types of kits are very sweet after adding the F-Pack and work well with more alcohol up to 13%.

Mix 10 cups of sugar with at least 10 cups of water in a large pot and stir well to prevent scorching when heating. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then cool to room temp.

I have found that adding a few tsp of yeast nutrient to the must helps the fermentation complete quicker due to the added sugar.

Again I do not endorse this reckless type of behavior and once you cross this dangerous line you are on your own!
smiley4.gif

I have done this on mist kits, and it does work quite well. However, do realize this is a risk, and you could end up throwing away $50 on something only the winos on the street would drink. I typically add sugar to bring it up to 10-13% as any more I feel would throw the balance way off. If you want to sort of try it, take a bottle of regular mist wine, and add the appropriate volume of Vodka or any other neutral spirits in a blend. Re-bottle, wait a couple of weeks, and try it. Using the pearson square on this site: http://www.honeycreek.us/conversion.htm

show that if you want 12% in a 7% solution, adding a 40% solution (Vodka) means you would add 28 parts of base to 5 parts of the Vodka. I tested this way before I started to mess with the kits. I made a strawberry reisling that I felt was a little too weak, added a little vodka to my glass, then added the wine. I liked the taste better that way. I did this to a blackberry merlot that turned out awesome!Edited by: Dean

Now that I think about it I don't think I ever made one of these type of kits without adding extra sugar...man I am so reckless!
smiley36.gif

Obviously, I can't support this reckless type of behavior
smiley2.gif

However, it is done more than you think!

Ok, so I have started my Green Apple Riesling and have officially turned reckless. I did add an additional 10 cups of sugar as masta mentioned. My starting SG is 1.084, so I should get about 11% out of it, I was hoping for 12%, but it will have to do this time.
smiley4.gif

I'll keep everyone informed on how it turns out.

I think that is a good start. I won't tell you how much some people ad.........
smiley5.gif

Welcome to the wild side of winemaking, you rule-breaker!
smiley32.gif

Now how come Isomehow feel like that's what would have been said at a Nerd-Convention?
smiley9.gif

That makes a good wine Steve. I just finished one last month that was started with that exact Specific Gravity.

Does everyone mix the sugar with water and heat before adding? I just added the sugar to my last kit, and it seemed to ferment ok like that, from 1.090 to .995 on a White Merlot WE Kit.

You are much better off by dissolving the sugar in boiling water before adding. I use 1 cup of water per pound of sugar and boil the solution for 5 minutes to make sure all of the sugar is dissolved. If you don't dissolve the sugar, you run the risk of having fall the sugar fall to the bottom and not ferment.

Be sure to let the sugar solution cool to room temperature before adding to your wine.Edited by: geocorn

Started two kits for the wife yesterday that needed some tweaking soI boiled up 10 lbs of sugar with water and added half to each batch.

5 lbs of sugar added to these type of kits works well!

WE Mango Citrus Symphony ....SG 1.095

RJS Calypso Bianco ....SG 1.100

Green Apple Riesling (Kicked Up):

SG 1.058 with lots of bubbles...
smiley17.gif

Would oak go with the Green Apple Riesling Kit? If so, add while it is in the primary or after it goes into the secondary?

Never tried adding oak to these kits and not sure if it would work well.

Remember this is a light refreshing beverage...kicked up a few notches!

I would vote against the oak. This kit is somewhat delicate in flavor and the oak could over power it. Then you would have "Chateau Plywood".

OK, man I really want to oak something;I am doing a red kit next.

Latest posts

Back