Other Coffee Port, Shiraz/Viognier, etc.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Looking to do a coffee port (or other like it), shiraz/viognier, etc. Did a little searching last night for them and came up with they must be pre-ordered. Is this always true or can any of these be had throughout the year?
For those of you that have done these kits, how and where did you obtain them?
Thanks.

Some places still have port kits for sale. Check eBay and Amazon. I just bought a salted caramel kit off eBay for $100 delivered. Port kits are usually shipped around September, so it is getting late for finding them. Once they are shipping, some places will have stocked them for sale.

The RJS coffee port I've seen it being available in many places because some LHBS still have inventory from last year; haven't checked in a while though but I know my closest LHBS has this kit; maybe that old inventory is now getting depleted...

As for the shiraz/viognier, I could swear I saw an online retailer having this kit available but cannot find where....

Those are the two in particular I am looking for. I have only checked Amazon, I will give Ebay a go. Nothing available on Amazon, for the two I am looking for.

@richmke Have you made the salted caramel before? Not quite sure what to make of that flavor description. I do see it listed on Ebay for $100 delivered.

I made a Shiraz/Viognier last year, but it was an RJS Limited Release. Very good already, at the 18 month mark though.

I made a Shiraz/Viognier last year, but it was an RJS Limited Release. Very good already, at the 18 month mark though.

I hear that from everyone, just trying to get my hands on one.

@Boatboy24 Thanks Jim, I will do some searching. For some reason, I thought it was a limited edition or only available certain times of the year.

@richmke Have you made the salted caramel before? Not quite sure what to make of that flavor description. I do see it listed on Ebay for $100 delivered.

Not made it before. Some good reviews here on the kit. It is also on ebay for $80 + shipping.

Not made it before. Some good reviews here on the kit. It is also on ebay for $80 + shipping.

I may pull the trigger on it. Really want to get my hands on the coffee port so may wait until deliveries in Sept. and see if any dealers have extras.

I did the CSC twice last year, first batch I ordered two (3 gallon kits) when it came out for preorder, so standard 6 gallons. When it was done, the wife loved it so much that I ordered another two kits and did them as well.

Strictly by the instructions, it got over 18%ABV, its sweet, the chocolate and caramel come through at first sip, more caramel than chocolate, it's mellow and smooth, with a surprising burst of raspberry/cherry in the finish which lingers a bit on the palate. You wouldn't want to just sit around drinking it, but it's great with dessert and definitely packs a little alcohol punch. Pretty good stuff.

I did the CSC twice last year, first batch I ordered two (3 gallon kits) when it came out for preorder, so standard 6 gallons. When it was done, the wife loved it so much that I ordered another two kits and did them as well.

Strictly by the instructions, it got over 18%ABV, its sweet, the chocolate and caramel come through at first sip, more caramel than chocolate, it's mellow and smooth, with a surprising burst of raspberry/cherry in the finish which lingers a bit on the palate. You wouldn't want to just sit around drinking it, but it's great with dessert and definitely packs a little alcohol punch. Pretty good stuff.

Thanks John. Sounds like something my wife may like then. She is the sweet wine drinker. For $100 delivered it may be worth a try then.

Latest posts

Back