type of honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I admit I run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
but after much reading of old post on here, I've changed my mind more times then carter has liver pills, forgive me,, lol
ok i'm going to be starting in 2 0r 3 more days I'll be starting a wildflower mead but at some point in this process I wish to add either some cherries or cherry wine, seems to me adding cherries at the start of fermenting would be the way to go, that direction will take a week or two longer since i'm outta cherries. or right off the bat with cherry wine, unless any one knows a good reason , I plain on ordering a bottle of cherry from home winery, that is if they every get sour cherry back in stock, sorry I stretch my projects over such a lone time, this right lung (new-moan-ya) and tick fever has put my energy on the back burner, but that aint no step for a stepper ,, so here yet again on this project, above all I respect and appreciate any and all advice,,,
Dawg

ok I admit I run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
but after much reading of old post on here, I've changed my mind more times then carter has liver pills, forgive me,, lol
ok i'm going to be starting in 2 0r 3 more days I'll be starting a wildflower mead but at some point in this process I wish to add either some cherries or cherry wine, seems to me adding cherries at the start of fermenting would be the way to go, that direction will take a week or two longer since i'm outta cherries. or right off the bat with cherry wine, unless any one knows a good reason , I plain on ordering a bottle of cherry from home winery, that is if they every get sour cherry back in stock, sorry I stretch my projects over such a lone time, this right lung (new-moan-ya) and tick fever has put my energy on the back burner, but that aint no step for a stepper ,, so here yet again on this project, above all I respect and appreciate any and all advice,,,
Dawg

Think you should be just fine adding the cherries later in the ferment. Arne.

ok I know I've drug this out for way to long, but any thing worth doing is worth doing right. ok ya'll going to have to call me AIR HEAD,,, any way I've been back home now for about 2 weeks shoot maybe 3, to many doctors to many pill's from them doctors, lol ,, ok this last time laying in the hospital with platelets in my bone marrow depleted, white blood cells down to 2%,,,,,( new-moan-ya) in right lung and tick fever, all Greek to me, all I know is god has allowed me more mornings to awake to. so on this honey deal I got 30 lb. wildflower honey, and 1 ounce of Steller hop's.. so I know 1#- 6gal carboy will get 15lbs wildflower honey and 1/2 oz. Stellar hops, but my other will be 15lb wildflower honey and 64oz of sweet cherry from homewinery.com , so hears my question, all I want is your opinions and why that opinion, what is your thoughts on using the other 1/2 oz. of Steller hops in my cherry mead attempt, a cherry, honey mead, your opinion on using or not using the other 1/2 oz. of Steller hops, , in the cherry mead, sour cherry is out of stock so I'll have to go with sweet cherries this time. I'll take ( homewinery.com ) product over venter's or any other caned fruit base I have tried to date,,
please help my poor dumb @ss,,,,,
lord knows I need all the help I can get,,,,,,
THIS YOU HAVE TO KNOW I'M A NEW KNOW NOTHING HOBBIE WINE MARKER , EXCEPT FOR 1 BATCH OF BLACKBERRY WITHOUT ENOUGH BERRIES IN IT, ON ALL THE REST I HAVE GOTTEN GOOD FEED BACK, THE ONLY REASON I HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH GREAT FEEDBACK IS BECAUSE OF THIS SITE AND ALL OF YALL'S HELP AND INFOMATIN . YALL ARE EVERY BIT OF THE REASON FOR MY LIKEABLE WINE, I TAKE NO CREDIT AND YA'LL HAVE EARNED EVEY BIT OF THE SUSSES ON MY WINE, I KNOW THIS AS A FACT,
THANK YOU EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YALL THAT HAVE GUIDED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.:h
Dawg::

Think you should be just fine adding the cherries later in the ferment. Arne.

since I started making elderberry wine I started growing my own,
but I have found when you drive the hyway in the spring I've looked on the hyway ditches there are tons growing down hyways but you must spot that umbrella looking white blossom, 8 miles from my home between here and there I have found tons of elderberry, but you must drive it in the spring when the blossoms are white, remember the location and you're set for the year, and you can always dig up small canes in the spring, I have better luck digging up the canes that are to young to flower yet,
Dawg,,,
OBTW, I got my wild flower honey 30 lbs., and hops, so 1 carboy will start this week, I am out of blackberries and elderberries for the moment but the are getting ready to pick in a few weeks, then I'll start the second mead then,,,
Dawg,

Hey now, I can't take all the credit! Blame @wvmountaineerjack

I followed his blog very closely when I was working up my own recipe for that mead. I don't have access to that many blackberries without absolutely going broke, and I have access to exactly zero fresh elderberries, so I improvised. I'm sure yours will be much better with so much fresh fruit added to it.

Here is his blog: http://wvmjack.com/Elderberries/WineRecipies.html

He has a TON of valuable information and is great about answering any questions you might have.

Here is what I did: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48365&highlight=elderberry

mix to match

5lb wildflower to 3 water from honey container, 1/2 ounce Stella hops and 2 lb wild blackberry,, shoot for the moon, or give up is my way of thinking
Dawg

Have you decided where you are going to get your honey and which kind yet? It would be a lot cheaper for you to find something local, but if you don't have that option, I can post a couple of links from beekeepers I've used.

ok i'm about a month an one half into my mead, i'm doing a six gallon batch,
18lbs. organic wild flower honey, 2lbs. wild blackberries, and 1/2 ounce of Stella hops from Australia. my next attempt will be the very same except no blackberries but elderberries instead, you see that's the problem with a life long bachelor , I was never trained to be caucus., lol... I once again got some dry and empty carboys,, so another 6 of elderberry wine and a 6 with honey, hops and elderberry,,

@hounddawg

Richard,
Have you started your mead yet?

ok it's getting racking time for my mead,5 months since i put into first carboy, so gathering up things to get started racking, when it hit me in every single wine I've ever made i always make a extra gallon and one half so as to be able to top off with what i'm making, but here i sit looking at a 6 gallon carboy with no extra to top off with, i have a couple dim thoughts, top off with more wildflower honey, or top off with sugar, i can not believe i did not make extra, will either one of these or a combination of nutrient sugar/wildflower honey,,,, my mead is 18lb. wildflower honey, 2 lbs. wild blackberry an 1/2 ounce of Australian Stella hops water up to 6 gallons,, using EC-1118 starting SG 1.40 so if i add some nutrients, sugar, honey, all three will that work, any an all opinions considered, except for sending it to your home to be tweaked,, LOL ... and yes i trust you like a stepped on copper head,,,

Dawg

Last edited:
You can top off with more mead or wine. I use water if it isn't very much. If I don't want any change to the flavor you can go to the dollar store and buy marbles add them to the mead.

i got 1/2 gallon clear marbles i got put back if times get bad, and a couple sling shots to go with then, but thank you i had forgotten marbles
Dawg

You can top off with more mead or wine. I use water if it isn't very much. If I don't want any change to the flavor you can go to the dollar store and buy marbles add them to the mead.

hum, mighty astute, since i have 2 5gallon carboys, and a couple 1 gallon an a couple 1/2 gallon jugs, so your the one who's been sneaking looks in my wine room,,, between you and the poster above you i'm starting to see how forgetful i an getting,, about a year and 1/2 ago i put up my #2--5's, and went totally with 6's and several 1 gallon an 1/2 gallon jugs, and i keep #2--6 an 1/2 carboys to rack into tweak then return to a clean 6 carboy,
now i am embarrassed having 2#--5's drawling dust,
i thank the both of yawl.
Dawg

I think I would rack down to a 5 gal carboy and assorted glass.

Bill

Back