DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, been here all my life. West side of Omaha.

Papillion? Wife grew up there. She went to Papillion High School.

Really, same here. I attended wayyyyyy before there were two high schools. Small world, I have been in Papillion all my life.

Have ingredients for two batches of this. Started one last Friday evening (Tuesday morning now). The must looks great and the fruit bag has also reduced down nicely. I only used 30oz of lemon juice and probably 8 lbs of fruit. 20C sugar for SG of 1.080. Tannin, nutrient, energizer additives as per recipe.

I originally pitched Red Star Cotes des blancs Saturday afternoon (waited 24h) and nothing still by this morning so I sprinkled EC1118.

Maybe the 1/4tsp KMeta caused the Cotes des blancs to not start that quickly. All other kits so far have started within 12h using EC1118.

Was hoping to rack to secondary by this Sat so couldn't wait any longer to see if it eventually kicked in and I sprinkled the EC1118.

Cheers!
-jonathan

Have ingredients for two batches of this. Started one last Friday evening (Tuesday morning now). The must looks great and the fruit bag has also reduced down nicely. I only used 30oz of lemon juice and probably 8 lbs of fruit. 20C sugar for SG of 1.080. Tannin, nutrient, energizer additives as per recipe.

I originally pitched Red Star Cotes des blancs Saturday afternoon (waited 24h) and nothing still by this morning so I sprinkled EC1118.

Maybe the 1/4tsp KMeta caused the Cotes des blancs to not start that quickly. All other kits so far have started within 12h using EC1118.

Was hoping to rack to secondary by this Sat so couldn't wait any longer to see if it eventually kicked in and I sprinkled the EC1118.

Cheers!
-jonathan

Couple of things. I think you jumped the gun by adding more yeast but it will definitely take off now.
Also, you don't need to add kmeta this early in the process. Next time wait until you have racked out of primary before adding.

Some of the berries were not store bought so used kmeta to sterilize/kill any wild yeasts that may have been active.

Isn't it a good idea to add kmeta to PRI and let sit for a day before pitching yeast when using any fresh/frozen grapes/fruit?

Thx!
-jb

Some of the berries were not store bought so used kmeta to sterilize/kill any wild yeasts that may have been active.
-jb

I gotcha, that makes sense then. I thought you used frozen store bought.

I usually use kmeta on fresh fruit like you would sanitize equipment. Spray it on, mix it around let it sit and rinse. All before primary and then I don't need to add kmeta to the must. I only add kmeta in secondary.

I usually use kmeta on fresh fruit like you would sanitize equipment. Spray it on, mix it around let it sit and rinse. All before primary and then I don't need to add kmeta to the must. I only add kmeta in secondary.

Interesting approach! I pick my own fruit and I usually add the 1/4tsp of Kmeta to sterilize before beginning primary.

I might give this a try though...especially on fresh/not frozen fruit...

I sprinkled that EC1118 at like 7a and by 6p was well underway and quite foamy next am.

Cheers!
-jb

I might give this a try though...especially on fresh/not frozen fruit...

I believe that wild yeasts are not a problem with frozen fruits because the prolonged freezing and processing eliminates the wild yeasts' viability.

I believe that wild yeasts are not a problem with frozen fruits because the prolonged freezing and processing eliminates the wild yeasts' viability.

Huh :d Well I didn't know that, either!! :h

I love to use the free fruit I have on my property (blackberries, blueberries, apples) but I always freeze it because even in great years I simply can't pick fast enough to use them before they would go bad. I've always used the 1/4tsp of Kmeta as a precaution, but maybe I don't have to...

My last batch of blueberry DB, was fresh berries, but since I picked in small batches during the season, I had to freeze them for the 9# of berries needed for 6 gal. I did not use kmeta and it was fine. I did use kmeta according to the instructions. Also, freezing helps break down the cell walls and allows the yeast to break the berries down faster and more completely to let all the flavor out. IMHO

I racked that last batch to carboy and started a second batch with all fresh fruit (frozen). I added the 1/4tsp kmeta in any case to clean the fruit/must and I'm letting it sit for a couple days as I add sugar and as the SG settles. I'll see if that yeast works this time since I can let it sit longer.

Recipe is stock except for -
10# Farmers market blackberries / partially dehydrated
6# Raspberries
45oz Lemon juice
Sugar to 1.090 SG

Hope to report back with good news re the yeast.

This is going to split these two batches between my gf's bro and us.

Cheers!
-jb

Just started a mango, pineapple blend here with 15 pounds of fruit.

1470770332664.jpg

Just started a mango, pineapple blend here with 15 pounds of fruit.

Make sure to add extra Pectin. I started a 6 gal batch of Pineapple, Mango, Peach, Banana about a month ago. I started with 6 tsp Pectin Enzyme and added 3 more after clearing for 2 weeks with Superkleer. There was so much haze you couldn't see through it at all. About 6 days after adding the extra Pectin it finally started to clear. Good luck with your batch!

Latest posts

Back