WineXpert wine kit fining agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danc

Reaction score
I'm still new to home wine making and am currently on working on my fourth kit (stags leap merlot). Is adding the fining agents necessary? Has anyone experimented with not using the fining agents?

I'm still new to home wine making and am currently on working on my fourth kit (stags leap merlot). Is adding the fining agents necessary? Has anyone experimented with not using the fining agents?

Many winemakers don't use fining agents. It really depends on how long you are willing to wait for clearing. If you want to allow the wine to clear on its own, rack it off the sediment every 30 to 90 days. Given enough time, most wines will clear on their own. I've done it both ways. If I plan to bulk age for a while, I don't bother with a fining agent.

Luc allows his wines to clear on their own. You need to rack off the sediment frequently and you'll need to add sulfite when you do to prevent oxidation. I let my blueberry clear on it's own. I prefer to clear with sparkolloid then after racking the wine off of that in 4-6 weeks I'll bulk age until I'm ready to bottle or sweeten. It's a lot less work.

thanks for the advice, i was planning on letting it bulk age at least six months. How much sulfite must be added to the six gallon batches and is that after each racking?

Latest posts

Back