WineXpert Winexpert Selection Series

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
Is there any difference in quality or taste in the finished/aged wines between Winexpert's selection original series and selection estate series.

The estate series is on average 30ish dollars more. is it worth it? Anybody make both?

I've made some kits from both series, but I haven't made any of the similar ones. So, for example, I can't say the Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel is better than the generic Zinfandel. I don't think you'll go wrong with either series. You do get a little more juice with the Estate series, but that's not really worth $30 in my book. I haven't had any problems with any of the Winexpert kits, and I've been using them for 4-5 years. The reason I went with the Estate series was to get the blends, or for the specific regions. Some of my friends either prefer certain regional wines, or are from those areas, so it's a nice gesture on my part to pop for the extra $30, which breaks down to about $1/bottle extra.

Both series are good. The main difference is the juice supply. For example on a Selection Series Cabernet you don't really know the source of the juice. It is of the highest quality but is sourced from various sources. On the Estate Series the juice is sourced from specific areas such as Lodi, Woodbridge, and Stag's Leap. I am not positive but I do not believe there is more juice in an Estate Series, I just think it is the quality of the juice. CPFAN can answer that question better than I can as he sells them I believe.

I have made the Woodbridge Cab and the Stag's Leap Merlot. Both are superb. I have made Selection Series Cab's and Merlot and the Estate Series are a step above. Don't be discouraged away from the Selection Series though. They are really good to. If I have a choice for a varietal though, I always go for the Estate Series.

If you want an all juice kit, look to the Mosti Monidale kits. My vendor started selling these and they are getting rave reviews and many of his customers have switched to Mosti. I have only made a Port kit and it is still going so I can't give a personal review on them but my next big kit will be a Mosti.

Sorry Guys, I don't sell Selection kits. My 2 year old WE product guide says regular & International Selection are 15 litres. Estate & Limited Edition are 16 litres.

The Estate are region specific and will be discontinued if it becomes difficult to source raw materials from that region. Such as the Oregon Pinot Noir that was just discontinued. Also, Vineco dropped their Ken Ridge Showcase BC Merlot because their vineyard in BC was affected by the fires in Washington state in 2006. Both will probably be re-added if the raw materials become available again.

Steve

Last edited:
I can't comment on the other wines, but I found that the Lodi Zinfandel to be an outstanding wine.

Latest posts

Back