topping up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Junior
Reaction score
how far do I need to top up to? is this high enough? It is in the secondary fermentation stage. I am thinking of aging it in this carboy too and just reracking every couple weeks as sediment appears.

also, if i top up with a store bought wine, do i have to make sure that it is one without sulfiteS?

wine.jpg

Now that looks good. What kind is it?

What you need is a max of 3-4 inches from the top. Be sure to add sulfite every other racking and you'll be fine. If you're topping up with store bought you're only talking about a very small percentage of wine compared to the total so it won't have an much effect.

Your wine level is fine for secondary. You will top up after you stabalize it, you can use a similar commercial wine. Follow the directions for racking intervals.
Dave

Now that looks good. What kind is it?

What you need is a max of 3-4 inches from the top. Be sure to add sulfite every other racking and you'll be fine. If you're topping up with store bought you're only talking about a very small percentage of wine compared to the total so it won't have an much effect.

Strawberry Riesling. How much sulfites do I add? I do not have the campden tablets... I have sodium metabisulfite powder...

i have never made a kit before... it had me transfer from primary bucket to secondary carboy after day 14. I then added 2 packages of sulfites and potassium sorbate. I then added the finishing blend (sugary syrup). On day 28 it recommends to bottle, but I was thinking of reracking into carboy and bulk aging. It does not say anything about adding sulfites or potassium sorbate. Typcially, I did not think you added the sulfites and sorbate until right before you bottled.... or every other reracking. I hope this didnt screw anything up!

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Your assumptions on sulfites and sorbate are mine as well. Sulfite every other racking and sorbate after fermentation is complete and prior to sweetening.

What was the SG when you added the sorbate and have you noted any activity in the air lock?

To a 5gal batch you would add 1/4 level tsp of K-meta. I've never used sodium sulfite so I can't say for sure but I'd guess it would be the same.

Two packages of sulfites?? Do you have any idea what volume that amounted to? Since you were furnished with 2pkts that would lead me to believe that each one would be used at different times. Just my guess.

Your assumptions on sulfites and sorbate are mine as well. Sulfite every other racking and sorbate after fermentation is complete and prior to sweetening.

What was the SG when you added the sorbate and have you noted any activity in the air lock?

To a 5gal batch you would add 1/4 level tsp of K-meta. I've never used sodium sulfite so I can't say for sure but I'd guess it would be the same.

Two packages of sulfites?? Do you have any idea what volume that amounted to? Since you were furnished with 2pkts that would lead me to believe that each one would be used at different times. Just my guess.

The SG was 0.998. It was bubbled about once every 5 mins for 2 days after sorbate and sulfites. Now, there is no activity. I mistyped before: it was actually 1 package of sulfites, 2 of sorbate. I thought the directions were weird too... it actually said "if your kit contains 2 packages of pot sorbate, add both now". I am not sure what the weights were... probably about a 1/2 tsp in each package. It did not say. Well, I hope all is not lost! Thanks for help! Here is a link to the instructions:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12/6/472422/wine isntructions002.pdf

Last edited:
Fun4stuff - Just deleted the two posts you repeated - the forum software blocked your original post, not sure why it did.

Fun4stuff - Just deleted the two posts you repeated - the forum software blocked your original post, not sure why it did.

ok thanks. yeah, it was blocking whenever i would reply via clicking the "Post Reply" button a the bottom of the page. It did not block my posts when I clicked the quick reply buton.

fun4stuff, If your SG is .998 and you have added stabalizers and F-pack, you do need to top up, within 1-2 inches of the stopper. When you said secondary, I thought it was still fermenting. Sorbate and sulfite are added before the F-pack to prevent re-fermentation. You can bulk age your wine, racking every 2-3 months. Every second racking, add 1/4 tsp. potassium metabisulfite.
Dave

From the descriptions, this is one of Spagnols Orchard Breezin' Strawberry Riesling kits. This kit does not need aging unless you added a bunch of sugar to the primary fermentation. Spagnols recommends that it is ready to drink immediately (as do most other kit manufacturers for their mist wines). Personally, I think a month in bottle is best. To me it looks like your carboy is just fine.

Steve

From the descriptions, this is one of Spagnols Orchard Breezin' Strawberry Riesling kits. This kit does not need aging unless you added a bunch of sugar to the primary fermentation. Spagnols recommends that it is ready to drink immediately (as do most other kit manufacturers for their mist wines). Personally, I think a month in bottle is best. To me it looks like your carboy is just fine.

Steve

yes, it is a spagnols orchard breezin' strawberry riesling kit. great, i was not sure if it would really be ready in that amount of time. glad to hear it is. have you made this kit before? did you like it? it is clearing fast!

thanks for your advice... i will top up and bottle/drink between 1-2months.

I made it a couple of years ago. Not my favourite Mist wine but very good. My favourite is probably Niagara Mist Pink Grapefruit Blush and maybe Orchard Breezin Raspberry White Zin. However my wife is diabetic so we don't make mist wines anymore. And I would love to try the new OBWatermelon. And the NM Wildberry smells great.

Steve

Latest posts

Back