Flavoring for pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I have a quick question about flavoring pee. I have a clear raspberry flavoring additive I bought from LHBS for wine flavoring. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it is in a 3oz-ish clear bottle and the liquid within is clear and syrup-like and says it is for adding raspberry flavor into up to 5 gallons of wine. When do I add this? Up front or end the end after stabilizing?

I second that! After it is good and stabilized... And do add it to taste, not blindly!

Grandpasfootsteps,
Report back on your results. I've heard some people say that they don't like the bottled flavorings because it creates an "off taste" of some type. I think they used flavoring meant for beer, it sounds like yours might be different.

That was me asking about the fruit extracts in this thread: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13212 before the thread got jacked.

I tried some of the blackberry extract in a gallon of my blackberry wine. It tasted fine to me so I flavored the remaining 4 gallons. Bulk aging now. Although it says beer flavoring on the bottle, it is sold in the wine supplies on their website. I called to confirm this can be used in wine.

I know if i eat asparagus for dinner you can smell a hint of it in ur pee:)

I used the Dolce Peach flavor syrup on my peach wine and that tastes pretty darn good. I have some apple i plan on adding to a batch of Apfelwein. I also used a cup of instant ice tea when i backsweetened my skeeter tea. As for the Wine/Brew shop flavor's i always thought they seemed pretty pricey and have never tried any.

Grandpasfootsteps,
Report back on your results. I've heard some people say that they don't like the bottled flavorings because it creates an "off taste" of some type. I think they used flavoring meant for beer, it sounds like yours might be different.

Okay, now I'm concerned. I haven't used it yet and the label on this says "Use in beer recipes for flavoring when bottling. Enough for 5 gallons."

It wasn't that big of an investment if I decide not to use it.

On the other hand I just opened it and stuck my finger in the vial. It tastes good. Very potent, like a Binaca breath freshener spray. If I use it, I'll definitely heed the advice here to not add blindly.

Assuming you've got a 5 gallon batch:

Try it in one gallon first. If you like it, add to the remaining 4 gallons. If you don't like it, you can keep the one gallon separate form the rest of the batch, or pour it back into the remaining 4 gallons and its impact will be very minumum.

Latest posts

Back