Apple wine on the cheap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I can test my NaOH, I retested the apple wine. pH 4.01 solution was 4.02, pH 7.01 solution was 6.99, newly purchased pH 3.0 solution was 3.0. So all is good there. Tested the apple wine and got a pH 3.98 and TA 5.7 g/L. Guess it's time to toss in a small amount of malic acid (small, really small). The flavor is okay but I don't want to have to pump the SO2 levels up really high if I can help it, so will do little micro adjustments (gram at a time) let sit for a day and taste test (it's a tough job but someone has to do it). I'll probably be down a gallon by the time all this tasting and adjusting gets done. Still clear as a bell, maybe even clearer than before. Nice aroma too, you can tell there are some apples in that there wine.

Never done apple, so I'm not being critical, only inquisitive, why use malic instead of tartaric? Shouldn't there be plenty malic from the apples?

Never done apple, so I'm not being critical, only inquisitive, why use malic instead of tartaric? Shouldn't there be plenty malic from the apples?

I've got both tartaric and malic on hand, just seems like the apple wine lobby uses malic for the most part, so I'm just blending into the crowd (with my glass of wine or beer hidden up my sleeve).

I may be remembering incorrectly but it was my understanding that it's best to add the same type of acid as primary acid in the fruit you are using. So if Malic is the primary acid in apples then you should normally add malic to it if an increase in acidity is needed. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Had added some malic acid a while back (in January), so I tested the apple wine today. Light dusting of yeast and stuff on the bottom of the carboy (very light). Checked the TA, up to 6.35 g/L. pH 3.98 (arg and double arg). Must be something in this wine that is buffering my acid additions. I added 1/2 the malic that would take it to a TA of 7.0 from 5.7 g/L, you'd think the pH would come down at least a little! Guess I'll rack onto some more malic and see what happens, just won't wait 3 or 4 weeks to retest it. At this point I think I need to add some more Kmeta since the pH is so high (and my last addition was 2 months ago). Aroma is wonderful, flavor is good (and now I've got to top off that carboy a little more). Maybe I'll add my sorbate at this point since I did plan on back sweetening it. But since my wife has started a new job the demands for wine have fallen considerably (I told her NOT to share that we make wine quite yet). Maybe I can leave this one a little drier than I originally planned...so I can drink more (Moo-hahaha (my best evil laugh)).

2-9-17_apple-wine.jpg

Argh, argh, aaargh. Checked pH this morning and still 3.98. I think I have enough Kmeta, got a slight whiff when I removed the bung and airlock. Maybe I'll try some acid blend?

How time flies. I noticed this one behind a few other carboys tonight. I think it is a week or so overdue for some Kmeta and a racking, though very few lees on the bottom, which is good. Tasted with my wife today, though she's not a real apple fan she nodded her head in approval and wondered when we'd back sweeten so she could give it to her friends at work, which was the original idea for this one.

Will move it to the top of the list and rack tomorrow and do back sweetening tests since it had Sorbate added in April (hopefully stable by now). Trying to free up some carboys for other projects.

8-18-17_apple-wine.JPG

Boy, I'm getting really lazy when it comes to wine making. Guess the extra aging won't hurt too much, just can't drink any wine unless I tip the carboy.

Had to take my two T1D's to appointments yesterday, so took the whole day off. After the appointments racked this wine, added some Kmeta and back sweetened to 1.005. Had planned on going higher but I think my original target of 1.008 might be a tad too high. Plan on bottling later in the week or this weekend. I always like to let a SG adjustment sit for a few days before re-tasting and bottling. Aroma was still good and the swig I got tasted even better. AIO racking didn't produce much CO2 so I think its ready to bottle.

How did it turn out Craig after back sweetening?
Actually tastes pretty good for an "on the cheap" wine. If I can eek out some time today, I'll bottle it (need carboy space). Tomorrow is out since I'm making my first batch of beer since late last Spring. I'd like to take some up to my older Brother's place in two weeks as I know my Sister and one of my SIL's would really enjoy it, might even gift them both a bottle or two (normally the kids exchange gifts, adults drink adult beverages and catch up on life)!

This has been a fabulous string of posts to read! This recipe was my gateway recipe for home winemaking. I make at least 3 gallons of it a year, with various twists. Typically a dry white (like Sauvignon Blanc) - have back sweetened when gifting it as you mention ceeaton (also changed to Premier Cuvee yeast instead of Champaign). Oaking adds a nice flavor. Had not considered MLF.

Just started a new batch last week using sugar water that was leftover from making candied orange peels for holiday gifts. The sugar water was very, very (very) orangey. Can't wait to see what happens!

I finally bottled this today. Had a glass left over, cooled it down for my wife to taste (this wine was made for her to give to her bestest friends). She was studying on the computer (anatomy class, I think), and wouldn't give the glass back after her taste. I said I didn't want to ruin her study time and she suggested it might just make her study time better. Writing this post I just heard the vacuvin upstairs, so I think she just hit the leftover bottle again, so much for studying! My final gravity was almost 1.007, apple flavor comes out nicely.

Update: My wife is hitting this about as often as she drinks a bottle of her Cranberry Chianti. She was not normally (I thought) an apple wine fan, but she likes this one (can't say I know her all that well, we've only been together for 25 years, maybe at 40 or so I'll be able to read her mind). She's given a few bottles away and received rave reviews (I know, free wine is the best kind), but gets funny looks when she says the main ingredient is apple juice concentrate. So for an on the cheap wine I'd say it's time to do it again!

Sometimes it's best not to tell folks what's in what they are eating OR drinking. If they want to know what's in it just tell them Apple Juice. Just as so many meat markets etc don't advertise that turkey you bought as having been previously frozen before they thawed several thousand of them out to sell at Thanksgiving time. In this case it really doesn't matter - It's Real Apple Juice from concentrate.

ONE thing NOT to forget of course - Apple juice (From any source) needs to be hit hard and early with pectic enzyme unless you want to try your patience waiting for it to clear.

Latest posts

Back