Just started 30lbs blueberry wine. Calculation question to start...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE: "For the first racking off of the gross lees, you just try to get the most wine you can and as little lees as possible. In subsequent rackings, as the sediment layer is thinner and more compact, you'll be able to just set your anti-sediment tip on the bottom and let it roll without sucking that stuff up."

I tilt my gallon carboys and lower the tip (Using a clip at the top) as it drains. The suction on my siphon is too great and it will pull sediment off the bottom so I wait until the level is just about 1 inch above the tip before I push it carefully to the bottom. Still it takes those additional rackings to get rid of the fine sediment. Just part of the routine.

A small update for wednesday. Specific gravity is down to 0.998 . It is still bubbling but definitely slowing down. I have 11 days off for Christmas starting friday, so hopefully it will be ready to rack and kmeta sometime in that time frame. I am feeling a little bad about how much wine Iost with that last racking by stopping the transfer too soon to avoid sediment... oh well, live and learn!

A small update for wednesday. Specific gravity is down to 0.998 . It is still bubbling but definitely slowing down. I have 11 days off for Christmas starting friday, so hopefully it will be ready to rack and kmeta sometime in that time frame. I am feeling a little bad about how much wine Iost with that last racking by stopping the transfer too soon to avoid sediment... oh well, live and learn!

Don't think you did too bad. You've got 6 gallons and may need to find a bottle or two of something to top up with at your next racking. Then, depending on sediment and your timing, you may not need any more. I just finished my blueberry work a couple of days ago, and after racking, was a bottle or two down, but it was nice and clear. Did a little taste testing and ended up adding a couple pounds of sugar (and sorbate / KMS of course) and ended up with the carboy of clear wine nicely topped up. It'll sit for 3-6 more months, get racked and bottled.

What I meant was, what the gravity after back sweetening?

Well that is a good question!! Honestly, I didn't take a reading when we finished and I'm at work right now.
While the mother in law (and picker/freezer/provider of the berries) was in town, we did the sweetening. Just went in 1/2 pound increments added to the carboy and were satisfied at two pounds that it was not quite as sweet as she'd like it, knowing it would step up a bit later.
According to Fermcalc, starting at .991, it should be around 1.007, but I'll check it for you when I get home and let you know what the hydrometer says.

Edit: @Stressbaby, the SG is 1.008.

Last edited:
We do make quite a bit of Blueberry/Honeyberry/Maple syrup here. It's one of the most requested. This year we did 70 gal. and used K1-V1116 at a pretty stable 62-68 degrees. Starting SG at 1.092. Added Fermaid K at 1.030. Pressed then racked at 1.010. Finished at 1.002. Added K-Meta. Cold stabilized. Normally we'd end up at .994 or so, but this batch decided to stop dead in its tracks at 1.002. I think it was fortunate, as the berry flavors really come through at just above 1.000 with no need to backsweeten. In Flextanks now till next July.

Down to 0.997, or so I'll call it. Fermentation seems to have stopped. I'll probably rack and kmeta on Tuesday . The wine smells very nice for being so young. I am looking forward to trying it!

Today was the 3rd day at 0.997 so I decided to rack. This time it went very smoothly and I was able to leave a lot of sediment behind. Transferred about 5 gallons or so into a 6gal carboy. I added 6 crushed kmeta tablets and about 1.5oz of mixed american and french oak. I will rack one more time into a 5gal carboy after sufficient oaking and hopefully it will fill up into the neck of that nicely just in time for the long wait.

As you all promised, this is already clearing up nicely!

20161228_193725.jpg

20161228_193759.jpg

The oaking will add back in some fine particles but they will settle out along with the remaining fine sediment. Don't forget blueberries have a delicate flavor, a strong oaking might overpower the blueberry flavor. I can definitely detect the difference in the blackberry wine that I oaked (3 weeks with oak chips) vs the first batch without. Looking good.

The oaking will add back in some fine particles but they will settle out along with the remaining fine sediment. Don't forget blueberries have a delicate flavor, a strong oaking might overpower the blueberry flavor. I can definitely detect the difference in the blackberry wine that I oaked (3 weeks with oak chips) vs the first batch without. Looking good.

Oh yeah... definitely going to keep the oaking light; I was thinking 7-10 days max with what I have in there. There is already sediment on the bottom from what I transferred from the last racking... I am sure it will be nice and clear after racking it one more time.

Racking day today and first tasting! 17 days on the oak, did not take on the flavor as I originally thought. 5 gallons total after racking. Specific gravity 0.995.

This is actually my first time ever trying blueberry wine, and I am impressed! There is no mistaking what kind of fruit this is made from... excellent blueberry flavor and not too light. The alcohol flavor was quite strong at first, it came in at an alcohol percent around 13%. I added about a half of a gallon of water to fill it up into the neck of the carboy and dilute it a bit. Second tasting much smoother and more manageable. I think a little bit of acid added back in would give it some zip. Good summer drinking wine.

Took a picture of the color, much lighter than the wine I make from grapes. Clearing so nicely! I think I will bottle in early march.

20170114_204311-3.jpg

20170114_204357-1.jpg

As you age it some more that oaking may show up better. I know that it was a light touch to my blackberry wine - I had to think back after we opened a bottle of the oaked batch and then I realized - the difference was the oak effect. It wasn't overpowering but it was certainly detectable.

A little update. This wine is still coming along nicely. I bottled a single bottle for a superbowl party with friends and family. I actually filled a full bottle from my carboy with a wine thief :h. I started degassing the day before using my vacu vin hand pump... pretty simple setup. Even after multiple rounds of pumping (20+) its still a bit sparkling.

The wine is really starting to taste nice. There is a pleasant blueberry flavor with just enough acid. I definitely should have oaked it longer... I am not picking any oak up in the smell or flavor... oops! The family all said they liked it, but I doubt they would tell me if it actually tasted like crap! I am drinking another glass tonight since we are all out of red in the house and we are currently snowed in! One thing I have noticed is that I never really have any interest in drinking more than a glass. Maybe its the sweetness?

I am considering expirimenting with 3 seperate 1 gallon batches. I would like to try different methods of back sweetening. Any opinions? I was thinking sugar for one, honey for another, and grape concentrate for the 3rd? The final 2 gallons will remain un touched.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, it has now been over 3 months... probably closer to 3.5 months in the carboy under vacuum. I have been sampling the wine quite a bit this whole time and it has become quite delicious with the aging. I think it is now time to bottle. I don't even think it needs back sweetening, I think it is good as-is. Nice blueberry flavor and a nice blend of acids. I think I have all of the CO2 out, there is no longer bubbling when I add the vacuum. I will add one more dose of k-meta before bottling. Any other advice?

Well, it has now been over 3 months... probably closer to 3.5 months in the carboy under vacuum. I have been sampling the wine quite a bit this whole time and it has become quite delicious with the aging. I think it is now time to bottle. I don't even think it needs back sweetening, I think it is good as-is. Nice blueberry flavor and a nice blend of acids. I think I have all of the CO2 out, there is no longer bubbling when I add the vacuum. I will add one more dose of k-meta before bottling. Any other advice?

Consider doing some bench trials with a small quantity of the wine before bottling, even though it tastes good as is, make sure it won't be better with varying amounts of sweetness added. Once you've decided, move on!!

Latest posts

Back