Brand New

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Hat

Grape Squasher
Reaction score
Figured I've done a lot of reading and thought I might should do some typing.

I'm from Deer Park, TX (Southeast of Houston). So I think winter might have just started today..

I bought and started my first 6 gallon kit in the beginning of October, and I'm now about to be starting my fourth kit.. So I'd say things are going well, done mainly making not to much of the drinking as, at most, my first kit is only ~2 months old.

Master Vitner Reserve - Pinot Noir (Bottled)
WE Eclipse - Riesling (Bulk Aging)
WE Eclipse - Lodi Zinfandel (Bulk Aging and Soaking up some oak)
WE LE - Vermentino (pre-order)
WE LE - Grenache Cabernet (pre-order)

My plan going forward would be to start using grapes to make wine, but my location doesn't really produce the "popular" grapes from what I've researched (all both months of research), mainly Blanc du Bois. Of course it's only 5 hours to Fredrickburg, so who knows.

TL;DR

Just saying Hi, and I like making wine so far.

Welcome to the forum! Out of the 5 wines I've started so far, I've only been able to drink the Dragonblood. That is a quick-drinking wine while you are waiting for the rest to age. If you don't mind country wines that is!
(I've got an apple wine, a blackberry port, a blueberry wine and a cranberry wine all bulk aging right now. I'll be waiting a while for most of those!)

Welcome to the forum! Out of the 5 wines I've started so far, I've only been able to drink the Dragonblood. That is a quick-drinking wine while you are waiting for the rest to age. If you don't mind country wines that is!
(I've got an apple wine, a blackberry port, a blueberry wine and a cranberry wine all bulk aging right now. I'll be waiting a while for most of those!)

That blackberry port sounds interesting, i might have to give country wine a try, though i might have to do smaller batches if i'm buying fresh fruit. That might be just the excuse i need to purchase more carboys.

Jhat...you started with the big kits...I started with the small kits. Just now doing my first two kits with skins and they will take a long time to age. But, I have plenty of early drinking wines on the racks...I can wait.

If I could back up time...I would have started with big kits, loaded the racks and then started playing with small kits to drink quick...by now, I would be drinking my Eclipse wines. Going forward my plan is to go big, then small, repeat...so I'll have some aging some for drinking right now. Oh well! Welcome to the madness!

That blackberry port sounds interesting, i might have to give country wine a try, though i might have to do smaller batches if i'm buying fresh fruit. That might be just the excuse i need to purchase more carboys.

The recipe for the Port came from here: https://winemakermag.com/2-10-can-t-miss-country-wine-recipes

I actually used Walmart frozen blackberries. But since it calls for 6 pounds, that's still a lot! I really hope it comes out OK . . .

Here is the recipe I'm using (all fruit which I have never done but with free blackberries I figure now is the time to try it).
Blackberry Port (1 Gal)
15 lbs of blackberries
3 lbs of sugar
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp yeast Nutrient
1 pkg Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast
1 campden tablet
After the wine is finished you’ll also need:
Potassium sorbate (?? do you need it if its over 20% ABV)
sugar to taste & brandy

Here is the recipe I'm using (all fruit which I have never done but with free blackberries I figure now is the time to try it).
Blackberry Port (1 Gal)
15 lbs of blackberries
3 lbs of sugar
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp yeast Nutrient
1 campden tablet
sugar to taste & brandy
That is a *lot* of blackberries! I figure I'll get a cheaper one under my belt first. We aren't all so lucky as to get free blackberries :)

Blackberry Port (1 Gal)
15 lbs of blackberries
3 lbs of sugar
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp yeast Nutrient
1 campden tablet
sugar to taste & brandy

How far along are you with this recipe?

That is a *lot* of blackberries! I figure I'll get a cheaper one under my belt first. We aren't all so lucky as to get free blackberries :)

That is what I discovered starting out...by the time you buy all the fruit, you could have bought a kit...so, I did!

Back