"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm, I used the new filter and racked carboy to carboy, still lots of air going through the OUT side of the setup.....what am I missing?

I made sure the filter is straight up in the housing...

Ok so after reading the issues with the filters and the relief valves I want to make sure I buy the right things. This was the list that I believe Steve posted originally:

FILTER HOUSING - 158116 -
WRENCH- SW-1A
BRACKET - 244047
FILTER - 1 MICRON = P1
FILTER - 5 MICRON = P5
Barb fittings - 1/4 npt to 3/8 barb

So is this what I should buy or has there been any changes I should take into consideration? Also I watched the video. What is the purpose of the 9" black tubing that went in the top of the filter housing?

Yes this is the most updated list that I am aware of at this time -
The 9'' tubing was to be able to suck all the wine from the filter without tilting it upside down

hmmm, I used the new filter and racked carboy to carboy, still lots of air going through the OUT side of the setup.....what am I missing?

I made sure the filter is straight up in the housing...

Did you mark the housings like post 1 talks about ?

Teflon tape on the barbs threads ?

What size hose on both end of the housing are you using ?

How young is the wine - sometimes pulling thru a filter will aid in the process of extraction of CO2

Good questions Steve,

I don't remember the hose diameter I am using, what is the recommended size? Still using same housing/barb setup from before, yes barbs were tighten using teflon.
My wine is certainly young but maybe the diameter of the hose is not helping. I know way back I did heat both ends of the hose in order to widen it a bit so I can put them into the barbs. Today I don't need to heat them again as I just push hard and insert them in both ends.

getting ready to use my allinonepump and filtration this weekend. Does it make sense to use a filter AND degass at the same time? Since the degassing process will likely take several transfers, should I use the filter on only one of them?

RJ Spagnols Chilean Malbec kit

Yes you can filter and degass at the same time.

What is not recommended is to filter as you are bottling

but if I need to transfer it several times in order to completely degass will it hurt to run it through the filter each time. Basically, does filtering multiple times hurt the wine? I wouldn't think so, but just checking.

I just PM you

Need more information -
How old us the wine and type
How many vacuum rackings have you done already
Why do you feel you have a CO 2 issue
You can always transfer and then add the filter inline latter

Last edited:
i just found these 1 micron filters in stock at "Pure Water Site" for $1.99 each any thoughts as to why these wouldnt work? i can only surmise that the cheaper they are the less effective they might be. 5 micron filters also available for the same $1.99 ea. they appear to be the same ( without the end caps)
Hydronix 2.5" x 9 7/8" Sediment Filter Cartridge - 1 Micron

<FORM id=yfc_1 method=post action=https://order.store.yahoo.net/yhst-42418596143763/cgi-bin/wg-order?yhst-42418596143763+hy2x97sefica>Item# sdc-25-1001
$1.99
Availability: In Stock
<INPUT class=ys_primary title="Add to cart" value="Add to cart" type=submit><INPUT value=yhst-42418596143763 type=hidden name=vwcatalog><INPUT value=hy2x97sefica type=hidden name=vwitem><INPUT value=http://www.purewatersite.com/hy2x97sefica.html type=hidden name=.autodone></FORM>

Product Description

The Hydronix 10" Sediment Filter Cartridge is the same cartridge as the Liquatec SDF-25-1001 Sediment Filter. This polypropylene filter, also known as Hydronix SDC-25-1001 is used as a pre-filtration for reverse osmosis systems and post-filtration for GAC filters. The Hydronix Sediment Water Filter Cartridge reduces extra fine dirt, sand, silt, rust and sediment found in your drinking water. It is also used in a wide range of applications such as residential, commercial, industrial and food service. In addition to replacing the Liquatec SDF-25-1001, this Hydronix filter also replaces the Pentek 155225-43 as well as the Watts FPMB1-978.

In addition to replacing the Liquatec SDF-25-1001 filter, this Hydronix sediment water filter is an economical replacement filter for the Watts 10" FPMB1-978 Sediment Water Filter - 1 Micron. Hydronix Sediment Filters are designed with true multi-stage depth filtration. It is constructed with graded density that traps particles for superior performance and dirt holding capacity over standard spun polypropylene and string wound cartridges.

Hydronix 10" Sediment cartridge filter specifications:</p>
Economically priced
Nominal micron rating 1
Flow rate: 0.6 psi @ 5 gpm
Replace filter every 6 months
Dimensions: 2 1/2" x 9 7/8"
Multi-stage depth filtration
NSF/ANSI component tested
Temperature range: 40 degrees to 145 degrees Fahrenheit

The Hydronix SDC-25-1001 Filter can be used in standard size 10" water filter housings that use a standard 10" sediment cartridge: Pentek, Ametek, US Filter, American Plumber, Culligan and many other brands. Be sure to check the size of your filter cartridge before purchasing. For optimum performance of your filter housing, replace your Hydronix Sediment Filter every 6 months depending on usage. Do not use this filter cartridge with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without sufficient disinfection before or after the system.

Last edited:
Yeah, Steve I was thinking about a dremel also.... But you think It would leave a BURNT plastic taste or smell.... I'm gonna give them a call this morning to see if they will do something or have any ideas.Im thinking the inserts glued in?... Thanks for helping.
I've had good luck just reaming out the edges of the filter sleeve to make fit up easier. Using a step bit bit similar to the large one from Harbor Freight referenced below. Slow spin with variable speed drill motor. No problems with over heated plastic.

Warrior 69088 2 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drills
2 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drill Bits
Item #69088
Only: $29.99
Sale: $17.99

i just found these 1 micron filters in stock at "Pure Water Site" for $1.99 ...
Hydronix 2.5" x 9 7/8" Sediment Filter Cartridge - 1 Micron

Cheesehead - what is the web address of this "Pure Water Site"?

I just ordered a whole house filter from filters fast. They were out of the P1 filters suggested on this site, but I found this filter there and added one to my order. It was on sale for 2.99 at Filters Fast, a little more but since I was already paying the shipping -- just looking for re-suppliers for the future. The Hydronix 5 micron cast more than the P5 filter, so I stuck with the P5.

-Brian

Filter issue with #5

I used the whole house filter for the first time today, and was really impressed with the simplicity and the speed of the process. I do notice some oxygen in the filter, but it was minimal and looks to be one pocket constantly circulated by the incoming unfiltered wine. The wine exiting the filter has no air bubbles. Based on recommendations here I purchased the system with a 1 micron filter for whites, and a 5 micron filter for reds (as I have read the 1 micron might strip color/flavor from reds.) The 2 whites and 1 batch of DB I processed through the 1 micron; came out crystal. My concern is regarding the 5 micron filter. At the end of processing my reds (relatively already clear using Isinglass and chitosan but sitting on lees) I ended up picking up a little of the sediment (maybe 1 oz at most) and I noticed the wine exiting the filter looked cloudy. I immediately shut everything down, and sure enough the last bit of red wine coming out of the filter was cloudy??? My previous experiences with the ferrari plate filter system where not great, but they always took out the yeast particles! I had made sure to tape up the fittings and mark the housing to be sure everything was sealed up... so where is the issue? Is a 5 micron filter supposed to filter out yeast? If yes can someone suggest where my problem might be? If no then how much color/flavor can I expect to be stripped of my reds using a 1 micron?

Really appreciate your feedback solving this one! Apart from this hiccup I am in love with the whole AIOP+WHF system... Thank you

IMAG1076.jpg

IMAG1079.jpg

IMAG1083.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

From all my research it takes anything lower than a .45 micron filter to filter out yeast, or make it sterile.
If you need part # for filters that fit that cartridge that go down to .35 which are nominal rated - let me know and I will go thru my notes and post them

I also noticed that you are not using a sediment tip in your full carboy - that is probably why you got so much sediment into your filter, it is a small black tip that fits on the end of the racking cane.

Last edited:
From all my research it takes anything lower than a .45 micron filter to filter out yeast, or make it sterile.
If you need part # for filters that fit that cartridge that go down to .35 which are nominal rated - let me know and I will go thru my notes and post them

I also noticed that you are not using a sediment tip in your full carboy - that is probably why you got so much sediment into your filter, it is a small black tip that fits on the end of the racking cane.

I still use the sediment tip, but depending on how deep/compacted your less are I might forgo it... In this case I was also using your pump, so I could focus on the tip of the racking cane a little more. A little sediment got pulled in, but I have not been concerned with this with previous filters. And let me clarify, I am trying to clarify, not sterilize. This wine has already been stabilized. I guess my question could be boiled down to... What micron level is required to assure that any VISIBLE sediment pull in will be stopped?

You should be ok -
I will typically filter 1 week atleast before bottling, just to make sure if any sediment has settled out on the bottom of the carboy prior to bottling.

Cheesehead - what is the web address of this "Pure Water Site"?

I just ordered a whole house filter from filters fast. They were out of the P1 filters suggested on this site, but I found this filter there and added one to my order. It was on sale for 2.99 at Filters Fast, a little more but since I was already paying the shipping -- just looking for re-suppliers for the future. The Hydronix 5 micron cast more than the P5 filter, so I stuck with the P5.

-Brian
www.purwatersite.com i also odered the p5 from filterfast but due to p1 out of stock i went with the hydronix p1 from amazon.com after the shipping cost came out to be more than the filters at pure water site. sometimes if it sounds too good to be true , it usually is, sorry for the false leads, i think they were trying to charge shipping on each item and not the whole shipment

I had good luck softening the plastic boiling water. Check out my earlier post #31 in this thread. The gist is below:

I put about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in a sauce plan and brought it to a boil. I put the bottom of the filter in the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds then flipped the housing a did the same to the top before finally putting the bottom back in the water for an additional 20 - 30 seconds. I then took the filter out of the water, let it drip for a few seconds and put it in the housing while still hot. This softens the plastic inner core enough that it is then fairly easy to get the housing tightened to the marks.

Grasshopper!! that works ,i just finished up 11 gallons, and did 11 gallons a month ago....Thanks for your imput,i cranked down on the lid marked it ,put the HOT cartridge in cranked it to the same mark, using steve`s method of marking the housing and lid..i don`t use the black pipe,i just flip the housing when it`s full :b

I am glad it worked for you Ricky !

How did your wine look after it was filtered ?

Still enjoying the pump - I assume ?

I should post this on my FAQ's about heating up the filters with the solid plastic inserts

Latest posts

Back