Wine Kitz Argentia Coast Reserve Italian Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeChat

Reaction score
I just noticed that the Argentia Coast Reserve Italian Amarone is on sale at Costco (fellow Canucks).

It is a 23 L bucket of juice/concentrate and is described as a 6 weeks and as a

"Full bodied, dry red wine. Intense aromas of currants, dark chocolate and oak. On the palate, complex flavours of cherry, dried fruit and spices with balanced tannins. Lingering finish."

The manufacturer suggests ageing this wine for at least a year before drinking.

My concern is that there is (apparently) no grape pack included with this kit. I would be disappointed to make this and find out it is lacking body in 2 year's time.

Has anybody made this kit? Would you recommend it? Was the body in line with grape skin kits?

I know nothing about the kit, but I do find it funny that the manufacturers have 2 countries spaced thousands of miles apart in the name of the wine...Argentina (South American continent) and Italy (European continent).

I wonder where the juice is from?

I think I saw in another thread that the 23L Costco kits are equivalent to mid range kits from other manufacturers.

cheers

I know nothing about the kit, but I do find it funny that the manufacturers have 2 countries spaced thousands of miles apart in the name of the wine...Argentina (South American continent) and Italy (European continent).

I wonder where the juice is from?
Can't answer your question, but the name doesn't say the country "Argentina". "Argentia Coast Reserve" is a product line from "Argentia Ridge". A little confusing.

Reminds me of my Dad. On some trains through Canada we see "COSCO" containers. COSCO is Chinese Overseas Shipping COmpany. My Dad always thought it was COSTCO.

Steve

Considering that I can get a RJS Winery Series kit for 10-15$ more, I am not too sure these are such a deal.

The reviews are very positive on the the costco website though...

I've bought several of these Argentia Coast Amarone Style Wine Kits. Note that the name says Amarone style so don't count on a true Amarone. That said the kit produces great wine for the money. I usually wait for the kits to go on sale a couple times a year. The price has risen recently but the sales always knock off $20.
The product is a full bodied wine more closely matching a Ripasso. If you short the water to 20 liters the wine is quite satisfying.
You can increase the body with the addition of 1 lb of black sapphire table grapes. Put them in a cheesecloth bags and hand crush them over fermenter to catch the juice and then let it sit on the juice for the entire first ferment. Like grapeskin packs, punch down the bag every day once the yeast is firing.
To my taste this $80-$90 Cdn (on sale) kit with a bit of teeaking, matches most that sell for $150 Cdn.

Latest posts

Back