Vineco Difference between kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookey

Reaction score
I am trying to understand the difference of 3 Italian kits. Can anyone with knowledge help me.

Italy Region of Tuscany Brunello
Italy Region of Tuscany Supertuscan
Italy Sangiovese Cabernet Sauvignon

Among those I did Brunello, which I liked very much. The last one is limited edition of this year and the first 2 are from the Kenridge Founder's series.
To me they look very similar in used grapes varieties.

Wookey

Wookey, there are some subtle differences between the last two. The Brunello should be 100% Sangiovese grapes. The "Super Tuscan" is usually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Merlot, with Cab being the dominant grape and varying amounts of the other two. The last on the list just seems to be a blend of two varities and I would try to learn what the percentages of the two are. Any of the three would be a good choice for me, but I would lean toward the Super Tuscan.

Brunello can only be made from sangiovese grosso grapes, nothing else is allowed.
Kits don't always have to follow DOCG, so there is really no way to know for sure.

The brunello I made from kit was fantastic, but compared to a $100 bottle, not even close.

The brunello I made from kit was fantastic, but compared to a $100 bottle, not even close.

Yeah, I can't imagine a kit comparing to a San Polo 2007 Brunello di Montalcino that I think of when someone says Brunello. You almost never see a top end kit Brunello. WE has one now, but I've been very leery of pulling the trigger on that one.

From the Vineco web-site...
Our KenRidge Founders Series SuperTuscan wine is a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

Geronimo...as mentioned in the original post, there is Vineco's Ken Ridge Founder's Series Italian Region of Tuscany Brunello in addition to the Winexpert Selection International Italian Brunello with Grape Skins.

I have no experience with either, although I suspect that the WE one is designed to be drunk younger than the Vineco one.

Steve

Thanks everyone. You are right that Vineco Brunelo is not an early drinker. I think it is more like WE Crushendo takes 18+ months to fully develop. I believe the whole Founder's series (even whites) is meant to be aged. While the Limited Editions were made with new technology (probably similar to WE SI with skins) to be drank after 4 months.

I thought that the Super Tuscan kit is probably a better choice that Sangiovese Cabernet Sauvignon, but was not sure. So, I'll buy this one and skip the limited edition one.

There is no way we can produce an investment quality wine at home. At top wineries they carefully monitor throughout year and select grapes, they have special equipment and storage conditions. And even with all that they have good and bad years. A good kit properly made and aged can compete with 20-30$ a bottle wine, but you cannot expect anything more from it.

Latest posts

Back