Is this true

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and No Scotty..For a general rule of thumb yes but it depends a lot too on what type of corker you are using I understand. Having a floor corker, it is the rule I practice.

Waldo said:
Yes and No Scotty..For a general rule of thumb yes but it depends a lot too on what type of corker you are using I understand. Having a floor corker, it is the rule I practice.

I have one of those double arm hand corkers. I seem to recall Portuguese.We did a couple of batches recently and i noticed somefit correctly, some loosely and others did not go in all the way.
I had no idea Waldp what the corks were. There were 2 diferent types that came from 2 diferent purchases. I didn't even know that there were diferent types of corks at that time.
smiley9.gif
smiley17.gif

As Waldo said, it really depends on your corker. I have a floor corker and always put #9 corks in the 375 ml bottles. I believe some bottles such as Ice Wine bottles have a smaller neck and thus use smaller corks, even with a floor corker. The 375 ml bottles I have appear to have the same size neck as the 750 ml bottles, just not quite as long. Thus I use 1.5" corks instead of 1.75" corks.I believe many that use the hand corkers use #8 corks, even with the regular 750 ml bottles.

Smurfe

Sounds like you need to use some Vernier calipers and measure the inside of your 375 ml wine bottles - they can vary to accept a #8 or #9. I once had a bottle that was 500 ml, and the cork I pulled out of it was small (I figured it might have been either a #7 or #8).

Funky Fish said:
Sounds like you need to use some Vernier calipers and measure the inside of your 375 ml wine bottles - they can vary to accept a #8 or #9. I once had a bottle that was 500 ml, and the cork I pulled out of it was small (I figured it might have been either a #7 or #8).

I dont remember where i put the darn things. LOL medicare starts 12/12/06 for me

What I do is use a dime, if it fits perfect it is made for a # 9, if
its to tight use an 8. This is what the people at Maltose Express told
me to do.

Edited by: wadewade

What I did is drill a hole in one and tie a string to it and hang it with my supplies. This works well with coin machines also.
smiley36.gif

wadewade said:
What I did is drill a hole in one and tie a string to it and hang it with my supplies. This works well with coin machines also.
smiley36.gif

HMMMMM ok
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back