Pumpkin Pie Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update, Masta...
Yesterday I found signs of my pumpkin starting to go bad, so I processed it
by cutting it up and sprinkling with the spices and baking, then bagged it
and froze it. Whenever you publish your final recipe, I am ready, but now
that the pumpkin is safely stabilized, you don't need to feel rushed.

Bill

Finally receivemore Alfalfa Honey today and added 3 lbs to the carboy along with 1/2 tsp of nutrient. I thought quite a bitaboutif I should rack the batch off the lees before adding the honey but decided to add the honey and stir the entire batch. I did this since I didn't have anymore yeast and wanted to make sure the yeast in the batch was agitated and knew it was time to get back to work.
smiley36.gif

Before adding honey and stirring

2005-12-12_182220_P1010036.JPG

After adding honey and stirring

2005-12-12_182257_P1010039.JPG

Just checked on the mead and it is bubbling away...plenty of active yeast left just waiting for some more sugar to consume!

Racked on 12/23/05 and ended up with 3 gals plus 1.5L. I think it might need some more spice to bring out the pumpkin pie that I wanted to achieve. Hard to tell what it will taste like in the end since mead tastes like **** until it has time to age out.

SG was 1.000 and with a total of 15 lbs of honey added the ABV is pretty high.
smiley2.gif

2005-12-29_161559_122905.JPG

OK, that's about when I racked mine also. They look similar colorwise
although mine is beginning to clear a little from the top. Fermentation
seems all but nonexistent. What is a good racking schedule?

On my previous meads I have transferred once from primary and then a racking off the gross lees (where we are at now) and let them sit until clear enough to rack again for filtering or right to bottling.

I don't rack often like some others do only because you have to top off each time and time is at a premium with all the batches that seem to keep getting made here at Valley Brew.

I hope the weather cooperates over the next few days since I have beer and my first Braggot to make!

I hope the weather cooperates over the next few days since I have
beer and my first Braggot to make!

Crazy New England weather... Cookin' in the rain at New Year's time!
smiley36.gif

Thanks for the info on racking Scott. I'll work on the mead and a Pinot Noir
this weekend.

Oktoberfest is boiling away right now in the brew-pot and if my bitter orange peel shows up today I will be making Golden Bough Braggot in the morning before the weather turns to snow for New Year's Eve!

Latest posts

Back