since everyone else is doing it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryNTA

Reaction score
I am going to make my first batch of mead.
I have started off with 10lbs of honey. I was going to make just plain mead but I also got a 8oz bag of elderberriers. That I was going to add in. Now I have a few questions I have a package of Cote des Blancs and a package of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast which one should I use?

I have added 5 Campden tablets crushed.
and 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient..

Am I missing any thing else...
I am looking for this to be 10 to 12%

also the SG was 1.056

Jerry you definately want to make a good starter with whichever yeast you use and not just pitch it in. That just does not seem to work with Mead. I would look this recipe over too, seems you might need to add some additional igrediants but with adding the elderberries I am not for sure. Perhaps Masta will jump in here with some really good advice as he is the resident "Mead Master" on the forum

http://www.finevinewines.com/Honey_wine_sweet_Recipe.htm

What size is your batch? A SG of 1.056 will only give you a potential alcohol of 7.2%. Are you sure you stirred this well to dissolve the honey into the water?

Either yeast will work for you and ferment this completely dry.

its going pretty good...Ill take some pics as soon as I find the charger for the camra

I posted a pic up in the photo section... it is looking prety good right now... I have added 6 more pound of honey.

Back