Well started my first batches of wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnate

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a gallon of apple wine and a gallon of pomegranate/blackberry wine. Do you guys check the sg everyday or every couple days. I was thinking I will start checking it tomorrow and then everyday then till it drops to 1.040 then rack it. I'm interested to see how this first attempt works out. I'm hoping my 6 gal kit gets here this week so I can start that to while I'm on leave.

I just started a gallon of apple wine and a gallon of pomegranate/blackberry wine. Do you guys check the sg everyday or every couple days. I was thinking I will start checking it tomorrow and then everyday then till it drops to 1.040 then rack it. I'm interested to see how this first attempt works out. I'm hoping my 6 gal kit gets here this week so I can start that to while I'm on leave.

Its a good idea to check it daily, and then once it gets closer to the SG you want, a couple times a day.

1.040 is high for a fruit wine, you can wait until its a 1.010 or even 1.000 before you rack it, and put it under the airlock.

Thanks everything thing I've read said 1.040-050 but I will let it go then. It started at about 1.090 so I will test it later tonight to see what she's got.

Thanks everything thing I've read said 1.040-050 but I will let it go then. It started at about 1.090 so I will test it later tonight to see what she's got.

Basically you rack to reduce the head space/air contact when the CO2 production falls.

When in priomary I check every 3-4 days. I won't rack from primary to carboy until it is below 1.010. I usually let it ferment lower than that then transfer.

:ot:Well let me tell ya a recent story about racking. I started 3 gallons of peach/mango recently, my only empty carboys were 1 gallon jugs and my primary was a 3 gallon bucket. So for those of you that hasn’t done the math yet, 3 gallon juice and a 3 gallon bucket doesn’t leave much head room so my plan was to put 2 cups of must in all 3 jugs, pitch the yeast in the primary then rack into the 1 gallon jugs in about 3 days.
I don’t advise this. I had a hunch I may have problems so I did leave the jugs set in the sink over night and I’m glad I did. What a mess, the added sugar and nutrient that was in the unfermented must started a violent fermentation sometime during the night and overflowed my gallon jugs. So what started out as 3 gallons is now down to 2.5 gallons. I should have just taken the extra 6 cups of must and dumped them down the drain, that’s what happened anyway.
Live and learn I guess.

Latest posts

Back