Crabapple Wine Brewlog

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
Started Sept 2016

Crab apples and Macintosh type apples picked here, fresh, in Northern BC.

30lbs crab apples
20lbs other apples
Chopped/Frozen/thawed, kmeta for 12h, pectin enzyme for another 12 before yeast pitch

7days in primary.
1.9gal white grape juice
8kg sugar
Yeast: lalvin rc 212
SG 1120 whoops!!

This wine is a beautiful robust pink. I'm eagerly anticipating samples at racking time!

image.jpg

I'd like to know how that turns out, i make a quite popular apple/pear/crab apple blend that goes like water through a flour sift in my neck of the woods,,,, but for each 6 gallon batch i use 10lbs of one kind of apple, 10lbs of another kind of apple, 20lbs of pear and 3lbs of crab apple, and i do not know what the rest of the world thinks my locals crave it, and i adore it,,, but crab apples is super bitter to say the least and i hear takes loads of sugar, but as a substitute for grape tannings, to me it smokes grape tannings, although i have never made a grape wine except wild possum grapes and muscadines,
keep tis post informed please
Dawg

She's clearing beautifully! I'll check my notes for ph; I believe it was in the 3.4 range. I adjust acidity post fermentation.

It may turn out bitter, however the jelly I make from these crabapples is amazing and I am excited about the wine.

Just racked this and am thinking about sweetening. Didn't sample as I was heading straight to work and nobody wants a nurse that smells of wine

Reduced (juiced? Steam pressed?) crabapples to get 1gal of crabapple juice to use when backsweetening. It is sitting with pectic enzyme and is a beautiful dusky rose.

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9745.jpg

Added the gal of semi-clarified crabapple syrup with 1C of honey and a half dose of KMeta.

Latest posts

Back