Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen

Reaction score
New to wine making, although have some experience and luck with making fermented foods. Wanted join a community where i could pose questions and gain knowledge as surely i will encounter troubles on this journey.

First attempt was a 7 gal ferment of apple juice for Apple Wine. Currently on day three, things are moving a long nicely. Looking forward to taking my first sg reading post yeast addition.

Ingredients are as followed:

704 fl oz apple juice (on sale for $1)
24 fl oz apple juice concentrate
24 fl oz water
4 lbs brown sugar (+ 32 fl oz water)
4 lbs white sugar (+ 32 fl oz water)
2 cinnamon sticks in primary - will remove after racking
1 packet of Fermaid O
1 packet of ICV-D21
Pectic Enzyme to volume

initial sg 1.1 (potential alcohol about 13%)

titrated acid after adjustment about 0.65%

Ambient room temp 70-74 F

47 bubbles per minute (currently)

Would love some feedback if anyone has any. This is a bit of a test run.

Welcome.

I would have done a test run on 1 gallon.

Did you check the juice and concentrate to see if they had sorbate added as a preservative?

Thank you!

I think there is a chance the 1 gallon test run suggestion might have been prudent. I just didnt have anything that small on hand for secondary and aging. Maybe i should invest in a smaller fermenter.

No sorbate in the juice, only preservative Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

All looks pretty good. Don't get concerned with how many "bubbles per minute". Use your hydrometer to measure progress.

Also, if it ferments dry, you will be closer to 13.5% - 14% ABV.

Welcome to the forum!

I backed sweetened my 6 gallon batch of apple wine with 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of honey and 2 cans of concentrate. Also, aged wine a bit (should have done it longer) with with a cinnamon stick in the carboy. Came out great. Every one loved it :h except the judges :( at the Canton festival.

I like the idea of the concentrate after fermentation, did you add this right before bottling or durring aging? How long did you let it age?

My plan is to see when sg is about 1.066, rack it and add some more fermaid. Once sg is <=1 rack one more time and let it sit for 4 weeks.

I plan on sweetening it too, should i do this after it sits for 4 weeks, or as soon as fermentation is done?

I normally back sweeten right after degassing and stabilization and before adding clearing agents. This is when I added the brown sugar and honey. After two months bulk aging I was going to bottle but a taste - I forget the SG reading - had me adding the two cans of apple juice concentrate. I waited another two weeks to make sure I wouldn't kick off more fermentation (I didn't) and then bottled.

The idea to use concentrate for back sweetening came from one of the forum members. [Unfortunately I can't remember who so can't give the member credit.]

Last edited:
Bottled the apple wine today. Back sweetened with 3.5 cups of simple syrup made from light brown sugar and 1 can (12 oz) of apple juice concentrate. Turned out better than I expected! The cinnamon is subtle but nice. Thank you all for your help.

20161001_151832.jpg

Latest posts

Back